My bees have been poisioned

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
by the parish that sprayed for mosquitoes this morning. Can anyone tell me if they will all die? I'm so upset; I've been crying all morning and can't concentrate on my work.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish I knew the answer, but we don't have mosquitos in our immediate area. I hope your bees make it through okay. Maybe you can get some advise from your local extension service.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wuold go over and have WORDS with the parrish as well so they know what they did and you may hold them responsible if the bees die. Next time they should think twice about spraying poison! I'd be LIVID!!!!!!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't answer your question. Spraying for mosquitoes is why we dan't have malaria and yellow fever in the southern US, but it hurts other things. When I lived outside New Orleans, they sprayed regularly but I did not have many insect eating birds, mostly just grain eaters.

I don't know what chemical they use or what effects that might have on bees. Wish I could help.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the parish highway department. She apolozied and said that they probably didn't know that I had hives because they won't spray if people request it. I also called Baton Rouge at the Ag Center Etymology department and left a message for them to call me. I want to know if this poision will wipe out my entire hives. :hit I'm still so upset - I can't believe this!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry about the spraying. We don't have mosquito spray up here, but lots of road grass kill sprays. If someone asks for no spray and maintains the grass, they don't spray.

I would think if your bees got sprayed, the insecticide would kill them, however, I thought spraying for mosquitoes happened at dusk or at night as to not spray bees when they are safely in their hives?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good news! Glen with the LSU Ag center called me back and he said that this would not kill my bees! He said there is little residual effect since they don't really spray that much, and the poision that they use wouldn't kill them. He also said that the spray doesn't really kill the mosquitoes either! I'm going to keep a close eye on the hives and see if there are any changes.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Good news! Glen with the LSU Ag center called me back and he said that this would not kill my bees! He said there is little residual effect since they don't really spray that much, and the poision that they use wouldn't kill them. He also said that the spray doesn't really kill the mosquitoes either! I'm going to keep a close eye on the hives and see if there are any changes.
From what I ahve read there are several types of sprays/poison choices for Mosquitos. Some end up in/on the water and kill theh larval stage. (But will not harm fish or human.) Teh article also said they should spray when bees are less active AND if they know you have a hive they can tell you in advance so you can keep them in hive for a day after.

Latest posts