My gardening journal, day 1

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, climate is the weather (rainfall, humidity, heat, barometric readings, etc) over a long period of time. Weather can change daily while climate is more static.

The weather in Seattle is rainy, the climate is temperate, ergo, Seattle is in a temperate rain forest.

SeedO was correct. I withheld switching to teacher mode as long as I could manage. I'm done now and back into gardener mode.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's actually really interesting Smart Red. Never thought of it as a rain forest!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Its that time of year again! Last year I got so busy actually gardening, I didn't post any pictures once the garden got going. A summery of 2014:

While I still had many problems with my garden, it was over all successful. Brocolli failed, my radishes were tasty but kinda woody and small, melons and bok choy didn't sprout at all, got only one pumpkin and 3 zuchinni.

This year I'm trying something new, ordering seeds from a seed catalog instead of buying any old seed packet. :) I'm also enlisting the help of my son this year since he's taken an interest in rolling around in dirt. Here's some photos of our start:

DSCN5192-e1421453336721.jpg

Its an extra 10 or so feet for me to grow in. :) The light brown is from heavily-pooped on shavings that I let sit on top of the garden all winter. Hope that doesn't make the soil too acidic.

Of course, husband also built me a new raised garden bed, and a scoop of dirt to put in the garden. But the scoop of dirt is in the front and the garden is in the back. No problem...Mr. Helpful will move the pile!

DSCN5188.jpg

As you can see the pile has been sitting in the front a while. Husband wanted some of the dirt to fill in holes in the front yard. He finally got his share done, and now the rest is up to us!

DSCN5196.jpg

We moved the pile over a two day period. Early the next morning, Mr. Helpful wanted to stay inside and play video games. I had to drag him kicking and screaming out into the open air. Apparently if you toss a kid into a pile of dirt and roll him around a couple times they mysteriously forget all about video games and instead, are all about finding grubs to feed to the chickens.

DSCN5201.jpg

This is The-Chicken-Who-Sings-Her-Bawks. Yes, we call her by that entire name without shortening it every time. Only 5-6 out of 30+ chickens have a name. We can tell who she is because unlike the other chickens, she drawls her clucks into a long baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk. She's also the friendliest bird we have. She hung out waiting for us to find grubs to feed her.

DSCN5207.jpg

Unloading the wheelbarrow.

DSCN5208.jpg

Alexii asked me if he could have a pair of gardening gloves on day one. Since I want him to help me all season long I thought this was a reasonable request. Not to mention exciting that he wants to be outside gardening! So we went to the store and a very nice man named Trent took the time to discuss the very serious decision of Mickey Mouse, Cars or Ninja Turtles. It was a hard decision, but the sporty "Cars" gloves ended up being his. He also asked me for the Pretty Princes gardening tools set...I told him to think about it for a week and if he still wants them we'll get them. Pink jewel encrusted shovel and all.

DSCN5245.jpg

Here he is breaking in his new gloves. :) Aren't they cute?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, hopefully a pink jewel encrusted shovel will still do the job.
Great that you are able to take the time to "work" outside with him.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mr. Helpful sure looks like he's enjoying the dirty part of gardening. :)

Oh, and I'm a little surprised that it only took you two days to move that pile. I figured your boy might be a high school senior first by the looks of the shovel load he was adding to the raised bed!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a cutie. :) Dirt baths...good for chickens, and good for children too! :D

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll tell him you thought he was a really big boy. He'll be pleased. ;-)

He has a really good work ethic. I'm not certain if he's normal for a 3 year old or not. I never so much as held a baby till they passed me Lex and said "Here ya go! Good luck!" :p He likes helping, and he likes tools. He can vacuum, do dishes, laundry, shampoo carpets, and even keeps his room clean. He eats aprox. double what any normal human being should and doesn't appear to gain weight. Doctor says he's obese but he doesn't even have a belly! :mad:

Tomorrow I have another day off. :) Hoping to set up our seedling trays!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSCN5332.jpg

Busy, busy! Look what OH made me. :D Got some plants underneath it so I have a somewhat early start on planting.

Mr. Helpful helped plant some. OH found a sprouting garlic, and so we made a little pot out of an empty toilet paper roll, and planted it.

DSCN5327.jpg

These are old seeds from a couple of years ago, but they seem to be sprouting good. Where on earth is that order of mine!? Times awaisting!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is so cute. A pile of dirt beats video games any time! And it was so nice of Mr. Trent to discuss the positive attributes of each set of gloves to assist Mr. Helpful in selecting the perfect pair of gardening gloves. This year, don't forget the pictures, especially with those fine workers you have!

My own love of gardening comes from toddling in my Daddy's every footstep. He gardened, so I did too. I was always helping. :) I learned things that have stayed with me all my life. Good job AMKusa, good job. :thumbsup