My gardening journal, day 1

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSCN5405.jpg

Planting some of the pea starts. It's way too early for them, but the 10 day says its going to be warm, and if we have another snow I figure I can always cover them. :)

DSCN5408.jpg

DSCN5409.jpg

Shortly after these photos Mr. Helpful turned into a dinosaur and was no longer safe around the peas. He did a relatively good job planting though, and only mashed one of them beyond recognition. :) Not bad for a little guy!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a good-looking young gardener you have helping you. This is the way gardeners should start -- fun at work and play. Day 1 in your 2015 garden was a winner whether the peas grow or not.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Please tell Mr. Helpful that I love the digger he has on the front of one of his tee-shirts. I really miss having my little helpers around in the garden.

Hey! Your info. says that you're in Washington but your pictures show green grass and Mr. Helpful in short sleeves. Are these pics from last summer or is the weather THAT nice in Washington? Did I miss something in an earlier post?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smiles Jr. Don't jinx it! It's normally frozen, snowing, gloomy, and miserable for the entire month of February. This month it has been warm, blue skies, and yes short sleeved weather! I keep checking and checking the 10 day forecast waiting to see that blizzard, but every time I check I'm gratified to see more warm weather up ahead!

My husband is predicting an extra hot summer. We shall see!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We watered the peas today. It has been raining quite well, but I got some fish fertilizer and thought I would mix some into a watering pail and give them a little food to grow with. I've heard that fish fertilizer is really, really good for plants. Its my first year fertilizing. I'm curious to see if it makes a difference! I made sure every pea got a little fertilizer, and then refilled the pail (minus fertilizer) so Mr. Helpful could have a turn.

DSCN5420.jpg

And yes, it is warm enough to be outside barefoot. In february. In Washington. Could have done shorts and a shirt if there wasn't a cool breeze!

DSCN5422.jpg

DSCN5421.jpg

Its his first year actually helping in the garden and he's loving it! Wait till he finds out he's creating his arch nemesis...vegetables. ;-)

Latest posts