My poor horse

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugsSorry a quick and painless end is the last gift we give them. Was Steve the brown or white one
The brown one. She was from a fancy barn. Stevie was originally owned by the actor William Devane who had or has a polo farm in California.The woman that I got her from played polo with him.She has a least 3 babies at the barn in NH. where I got her. She was a lovely gentle ride and loved my gelding more than anything.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So sorry! Especially when these are intelligent animals who can be friends. Horses successfully treat children (hippotherapy). They have an amazing interaction. Very sorry.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really sorry Cat. I have 2 seniors, age 27 and 29. I dread the day..... I know your mare had a good life with you. There are some things that you just don't see coming, I am so sorry.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Horses can generally live until they are about 20yo. After that, IMHO, they live on borrowed time. Their teeth continue to grow until they are 30yo, and then they can wear down to nothing, so those owners generally feed them a digestable mash. (Grass is hard on teeth.)
I have had several horses live until 27yo and one lived until he was 35yo.
I am expecting my 18yo mare to live another 10 years or so. She isn't worked really, but gets plenty of turnout 365 on 4 acres and they herd does move around and run with each other. She also has not had any injuries.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate when clients ask this, but going to. On average baring accidents how long do horses live.
Most of mine have lived to 40. Stevie was 28.I got her free when she had had her 3rd foal and could not keep weight on. I was able to keep her, with vet advice and care, at a fair weight-way better than when I got her.Because of that I did not think she was destined for 40.I think some breeds do not live as long. Jumpers and race horses have structural problems sooner. My neighbor bought back her childhood pony for her kids and it lived to be almost 60. Some ponies can live this long I think. The world record was for a barge horse that lived to be 62. But record keeping may not have been that accurate. I think well into the 30s is quite common. Many fancy horses are kept in a barn most of the day. Honestly, I am not sure why. My horses have been out in the pasture 24/7 since after the last 40 degree spring rain. They are happy, continually foraging, never colicked, (a dangerous stomach ache that can lead to death). They have never been sick, though have had a couple wounds. My vet leaves her horses out with just a shelter, though her rich clients keep their horses in the barn a lot. Humans like this the horses do not. My favorite time, other that riding, was watching the 2 of them race each other at top speed.

Latest posts