My strange remuddled house

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yeah....the squatter left us with a 55 gallon drum of something. The label says "corrosives" ...but other than that....we have not a clue what it is. We opened it, took some out....did all the tests we could on it. It appears to be an automotive parts cleaner.
I have contacted two different hazmat places in SC to see about them picking it up for disposal. No replies. :mad:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moxie', how close are you to the water district lines?

The Saluda County Water Authority may concern itself with a barrel marked "corrosives" and may refer you to the correct outfit who has responsibility. They aren't a private company, are they? It seems strange that they are a dot-com.

Are you close to the Saluda River? There is a riverkeeper organization in Marietta. They should know how to jerk some chains.

Leaving that barrel year after year seems risky.

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I so agree steve. It was here when we bought the place, back in 2010, and the squatter did auto repair work. That was at least from 2006-09' We think.
It seems the South...here in SC at least.....has a blase' attitude about things..like litter, recycling, environmental concerns, etc. I just haven't made the right connection yet. I just keep googling and doing research ......
I check the barrel quite often. It is for now parked behind the chicken tin shed. Out of the way so it doesn't get bumped, poked or spilled.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have read that Arbor Day trees are not good trees. Most people have one out of several live.
I have gotten the "free" five flowering shrubs membership-promotion and had them all do well. I also purchased five trees from them. All of them "survived" although not all of them did well. The chain tree died after 5 years or so of leafing out each year, but not putting on new growth and the fringe tree took another 5-6 years of weak growth before finally setting a few flowers (by which time no one remembered what it was supposed to be). After that first flowering, it took off and has done great every year since.

I doubt the problems the trees had getting started were entirely NADF's fault. Besides, they were all borderline hardy here. I tried them only because of the low price. Not much to lose if they failed. I have never taken the 5 blue spruce offer and that seems to be the one most often repeated.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah....the squatter left us with a 55 gallon drum of something. The label says "corrosives" ...but other than that....we have not a clue what it is. We opened it, took some out....did all the tests we could on it. It appears to be an automotive parts cleaner.
I have contacted two different hazmat places in SC to see about them picking it up for disposal. No replies. :mad:
A vehicle repair shop might be interested in it. Industrial cleaners are expensive. Free would be a good price ........ If you took a fruit jar of some of it to a repair shop, they could probably tell you what it is and might want it. Does it have a smell to it? Is it clear or colored?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are just guessing about what it actually is. I am also looking for someplace that will test a sample.

Latest posts