Need Suggestions for Supporting Tomato Plants

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know this sounds kinda stupid, but I'm new to the gardening thing.

This year I tried the wire cone shaped thingies. they're worthless! (I know that I'd already been told that, but in my defense they were what I had and I was rushed.) Anyway, we're thinking maybe 4 tomato plants next year. What would be the best way to support them?

Pictures would be really nice and helpful.

Mike

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you will find we all do it differently. I use cow panels. These are 16 long and about 52 high. Bolt cutters work great cutting them.

I take the horizontal wire off one side so I can stick the panel in the ground maybe 4 for stability. That makes them too short so I put another panel on top, using wire, to make them maybe 6 tall.
6180_trellis_stacked.jpg

To support them, I take a 2x4 and rip it lengthwise to make a 2x2. Then I cut it in half to 4 long and drive that in the ground using a fine adjustment tool, known to some people as a 5 pound sledge hammer. I use wire to tie the cattle panel to the stake. I put one of these on each side of my row of tomatoes, about 12 from the tomatoes for a total of 24 apart.
6180_trellis_stakes.jpg

This is probably overkill, but I also take a 2 piece of wood and wire it across at the top to keep the top of the wire 2 apart. I think this makes it more stable.
6180_trellis_overview.jpg

I tie some tomato vines to the wire, but I also weave the tomato vines through the openings in the panels as they grow. They are pretty much self-supporting with this weave, but you need to turn them back to the wire if they grow out of it. The ones in the middle that dont grow over to the wire are the ones I tie up.
6180_trellis_weave.jpg

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They dont' get that big in our cooler pnw garden so I just tie them to a 4 foot stake in the ground as they grow. There are two in buckets on the porch, that are tied to a rope up to the rafters as they are growing.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use crutches. Just pull the rubber tip and arm pit cushion off. Extend the adjustable bottom pin all the way out and stick in the soil. I buy them at thrift stores and yard sales for a buck or 2 a pair.
The alum. ones work great also. If I can't get the adjustable lower end long enough, I remove it and cut a point on each end of the down pieces them stick it in the soil.
If you watch you'll find a bunch of old crutches.

THANX RICH

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
I use crutches. Just pull the rubber tip and arm pit cushion off. Extend the adjustable bottom pin all the way out and stick in the soil. I buy them at thrift stores and yard sales for a buck or 2 a pair.
The alum. ones work great also. If I can't get the adjustable lower end long enough, I remove it and cut a point on each end of the down pieces them stick it in the soil.
If you watch you'll find a bunch of old crutches.

THANX RICH
Fantastic idea! I may have to use that. Crutches are cheap, and they always look a little sad, all stuck in a barrel or basket like they do at the thrift store. If I get them, I may have to spray paint them bright colors, just so I don't think of Tiny Tim every time I look at them. ;)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I still like the tinkertoy cages I invented. They are made from electrical conduit and plastic pipe fittings. They aren't glued together so at the end of the season they can be knocked down and use very little storgae space. They can also be added to as the tomatos grow or placed close together for the plants to get mutual support from one another. This old thread gives a good picture of them about halway down on the first page.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30088&p=1

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought treated studs, ripped them in half and have very strong 2x2 stakes that are about 6 ft. high after they are set into the bed. I tie the 'mater plants to the stakes as they grow. I have also tried re-bar - used for concrete work - with success.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My tomatoes, especially the Amish Paste got so tall, stakes and tomato cages just didn't work. I like the cattle panel idea. How much did you pay for them Ridgerunner and where did you buy them?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got them at Tractor Supply a few years ago. I can't remember what they cost but they are not cheap. I did a quick Google and they are around $48 each for a 16' x 52".

At the end of the season, I take the wire loose and lean the panels against the garden fence. They last for years.

Instead of putting them in a row like I do, I've heard of people cutting them to 8' lengths and bending them to form a 2' square cage. That might work better for just a few, but I find the flat panels easy to store and mine have been really stable in some pretty high winds.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drive rebar stakes in the ground, also use the cages because I have them. Then I take hay string and tie a spiderweb of string around the plants. They thrive and make lots of tomatoes.