Need To Rant UpDate Milio Going to New Home

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
One time my wife's aunt and uncle came to visit and brought their mongrel dog with them. When we sat down to a very nice steak dinner in our formal dining room, that blasted mongrel jumped onto our table and proceeded to eat MY steak. Startled, I threw that curr half way across the room whereupon the aunt proceeded to chastise me for no allowing that @#$%^& to finish eating MY steak. :ep I showed all of them the door to use or shut that mongrel in their motor home. :smack They learned real quick... when in our house they follow our rules ! :th All the while both of our Boxers and Siamese cat were laying down quietly on the living room floor as they were told. :cool:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have 3 dogs. Paris is our Great Pyrenees and is NOT an house dog. Her job is to guard the yard and chickens. I have had her in the house twice and she was uncomfortable and wanted OUT.

Parker is our black Lab/Great Dane mix and is BIG. He thinks he is a 10 pound lap dog. He "asks" if he can get in my lap and leaps in my recliner. he snuggles down, I rub his ears, he goes to sleep, snores and cuts the circulation to my feet/legs off. The pins and needles start stabbing me and I have to move him. Sometimes he gets down, sometimes he just snuggles closer to me, I make accommodations and shift my legs until the blood flow starts back up. He has a blanket in front of the TV and sleeps there at night. He never gets on furniture, only in our recliners at invitation. He plays hide and seek with our grand daughter. I cover his eyes and count, then turn him loose and he finds her. Great game for all 3 of us.

Polly is our blue merle Australian Shepherd. She is spoiled rotten. Great kid dog, when our grand daughter was a baby, she would crawl to Polly, pull hair, tail, ears, and Polly lovingly let her. Polly never showed the slightest sign of aggression, even when it was deserved. Polly is my shadow. She loves to lay on me in the recliner. Everything else is off limits and she does not get on other furniture or on the beds. She has a dog bed behind my recliner and on the floor next my side of the bed.

The dogs have their own space, they have our shared space and there is off limit space. Pets are wonderful additions in our lives. They should be taught, trained and there must be mutual respect from both sides.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dogs are allowed on the couch, the recliner, and the bed. Of the four dogs, one gets to sleep with us at night, and the other 3 are kenneled. The lucky one who stays out is allowed to because he doesn't snore/push us out of bed/abuse the privilege in any way, and he has a knee that dislocates if his movement is restricted. It seems to only happen when he's kenneled, so we let him sleep at the foot of our bed and pretty much don't notice him.

The dogs are specifically not allowed on any surface not meant to hold a human unless specifically placed there by me. (Table for grooming, as an example.) They are not allowed to remain in the dining room while we are eating, and they are not allowed to touch a plate of food or a drink meant for people, even if there is easy access to it. (Never occurred to me to teach this until I left a hot buttered rum on the living room table, and collected the empty cup later wondering why I couldn't remember drinking it. We figured out who the culprit was when one of the dogs tried to jump on the bed...and missed...)

I don't know if I'd let them on the bed/furniture if they were big dogs. We have a foster pug who is definitely not allowed on any furniture due to her extreme shedding. Yikes!

Latest posts