Need To Rant UpDate Milio Going to New Home

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a client, his dog came in for the weekend at the begining of Nov. After 2 weeks I called to make sure everything was ok, and find out when he was picking up his dog. I knew the owner was having money troubles, he stiffed me the last 4 times I had the dog. He would pick up dog and tell me he forgot his checkbook and mail me one. He had been a very good client so I just wrote off the loss. He told me he was in the middle of moving and would get back to me. A couple more weeks go by with no word from him. I tried calling a few times but got no answer. Today I blocked my number and called. Owner answered said he can't find a place that allows dogs ( almost impossable to rent here if you have dog) I told him, a client has a 1 bedroom apt and she allows dogs. He didn't want to know about it, said he is calling shelters to bring dog, but shelters are full. This is a 2year old purebred house trained yellow lad. No way should this dog be dumped in a shelter, it is highly adoptable. Owner didnt even try to find dog new home. I told owner might take time and some effort, but I would find dog new home. It drives me crazy when people think I don't want dog just dump in shelter and let them worry about new home.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have a front line on how good or bad dog owners are. You are a blessing in the life of this dog, just think of what would happen to it if you didn't have it. Sometimes you have to look beyond the present irritation to see the outcome. This dog will be saved from his owner, because you are there to see to it that this dog has a chance at a better life. Go pet the dog, look in his eyes and know that you make a difference. No, you can't save all the dogs all the time, but you sure can make a difference to THIS dog. And you can make a difference to the family that gets this dog.

What about a group that gives companion dogs to veterans? There are service dogs for veterans that have PTSD and other problems. This dog might be a candidate for something like that. Get the owner to sign a release or claim the dog for the money the owner owes you. God puts situations in front of us to see what we will do with them. Something tells me that you will pass this test with flying colors.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the guy is going through an upheaval in his life right now. That dog is really lucky that you care enough to take over.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! What a Christmas present for the dog and for the new family!

I once had a family drop off a 6mo old apricot toy poodle to board while they moved. Weeks went by - then months. Andre became the kennel mascot and spent all day loose in the building just like our own dogs. The kennel owner would not let me give him away, or contact his owner - seemed all 'hush/hush' about the whole thing ( ? )
Then one day they showed up, handed us a check and requested that he be groomed and ready to pick up by a certain time that afternoon... haveing never even asked to see him. When they came back they were LIVID that he had developed a dark spot on one hip in the year+ that he had spent living in a kennel. "We can't breed him like that!!!" And stormed down to the owner's office to discuss litigation... In the end, they took the dog and I never heard from them again. I am almost sure he was quickly sold or dumped since he was no longer valuable to his owners.

In the boarding and grooming business, you are exposed to the best and worst of peoples' character. I think that you handled it perfectly and I'm so glad that you've found him a good home.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay not dogs fault, all ready have great home lined up.What dives me crazy is people not even trying to do right thing. Dump their problem on someone else.

You see it on CL all the time. People getting rid of their dogs because
"it needs more time than I can give it" or "needs room to run" or "landlord won't allow" which just means that they got a puppy because they're so cute, but now that it's outgrown that puppy cuteness they've lost interest. It's the no- commitment culture.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dog loves the kennel, which is at my vet's office. At least I know if she should get sick she is in good hands, and the staff all love her. They all get excited when she comes in. My dog would just die if I did not come back for her. And love me as she does she really loves my son. He lived with us for about a year getting on his financial feet when I got her as a pup. She cries and runs and jumps when he visits. I always say he has to kiss the dog before he kisses his Mom. I knew you had a big heart Nyboy. Forgive the clients, they are probably embarrassed by their lack of funds. I know they're jerks. Really how hard could it be to rehome a LAB????

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
major really nice dog, but young lab so high energy. He lived in a aptment in down town white plains. your place would have been heaven for him.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
major really nice dog, but young lab so high energy. He lived in a aptment in down town white plains. your place would have been heaven for him.
labs have high energy,,,, you jest..... this poor couch has gone through 3 labs or lab/mix puppies, so happy when they hit 3 years old.
003 - Copy (11).JPG

we call it "the scarecrow" "from wizard of oz" just re-stuff it, good for another puppy
needless to say that lab needs a good home in the country, no lab desives living in the city...