Not only good, but good for you.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I did a germination test on some seeds that have been in the freezer since 2009. Ninety percent of the seeds germinated, so I had to plant some. I had forgotten what a great looking variety this is, as it has been so long since I have grown it. It is an Italian variety called Dark Red Lollo Rossa. I found this interesting post online concerning this variety:

In 1999, scientists at the University of Glasgow found that Lollo Rosso has 100 times more antioxidants than common lettuce. It also contains the antioxidant quercetin, which is believed to help prevent asthma and allergies by acting as a natural antihistamine.

I just thought I would pass this along.

Jack B.

lolo.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is beautiful, and great news. Do you know if that kind of lettuce is available to the home gardener now?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The seed is available from a number of sources, however, I have never seen it at places like Home Depot or Wal-Mart. I know Johnny's Select seeds carries it, but I think their shipping/handling charges are too high, and I told them so. They offered to drop the charge, but I had already purchased my seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. You might do a search online if you want to grow it, but, I have never seen starter plants for this variety. It is so attractive it is ALMOST a shame to eat it. It looks more like a house plant. :rolleyes:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It IS too pretty to eat. I probably won't try to get any this spring, because summers come fast and furious here. But as a fall crop or in a winter hot bed, it might work. May have to order from Johnny's later. I'm sure I'll think of something else I need. Kinda like pushing that button on the order from Amazon. Instantly, that "one more" item pops into your head.:/

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, good luck if you do try it. It really tastes great and you won't be disappointed. I am tending more and more to the loose leaf varieties myself and away from the romaines.
Jack

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My word its beautiful!! I'm going to order some for our fall garden! I was going thru my seeds and found a bunch I didn't even realize I had! I found spinach and cabage, red lettuce (which I've never heard of) and a few others!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
jackb, I "threw down" a bunch of mixed lettuce seed that had been stored in my freezer for 8 years. It all came up very well, and there is a beautiful red variety in there, looking very similar to your Lollo Rossa. I think it is called Red Sails, but not real sure. It is beautiful and has leaves as large as my outstretched hand. Don't have a clue if it is as nutritious as the Lollo Rossa, tho. I have to admit, the only way I really like leaf lettuce is "wilted" with hot bacon grease, sugar and vinegar. But I've been eating a lot of it that way!

Latest posts