Our Young People

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was raised during the depresion so it wasn't a matter of what you liked. You were just glad there was something there to eat.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think the only way lasting changes are going to stick is if schools AND parents model healthy eating habits. By the time I got to high school, I quit taking the packed lunches that my mom had made in elementary school, so I had fries, Dr. Pepper and nutty bars for lunch every day. But then when I got home, I had a well-balanced meal prepared by my mom. When I went to college, I didn't feel right unless I had veggies and fruit at each meal. So the lesson was learned. But if I had parents who fed me fast food everyday, I doubt I would eat as healthy as I do now, even if the school had been very particular about what it offered in the cafeteria.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to say, I've always been a nut... I ate 'weird' food my mom usually didn't make. My brother & sister would throw fits about every meal she made, so she'd always make something else for them. They'd get a hamburger or pizza or pasta and that was the end of it. I ate what they ate... and I didn't enjoy it much either. Mushy canned green beans, mashed potatoes & pot roast with gravy. Or mushy boiled carrots... ect. She wasn't the greatest cook.

I grew up to enjoy sushi, thai veggies w/ noodles... I liked jasmine rice... pasta primavera... I bought a wok at one point. By 14 I was in the kitchen making my own dinners, or I'd go out and pick it up. My mom seemed more annoyed with me then she was at the fact my sister or brother wouldn't eat anything but those 3 things. I'd even say I was 'eating at a friends house' for dinner now and then so I could go out to dinner where I wanted to eat.

Funny thing is, now, she eats here and complains about everything I serve. My brother has actually become more willing to try new things when he's here, even though he eats pretty much the same as he always has. I even got him to eat a brussel sprout at Thanksgiving. He said he didn't like it, but he didn't hate it either.

I win!!!!

:lol:

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi All
new here and this topic is always so disturbing. ugh

thank goodness my kiddo eats everything. 6 yr old and loves brussel sprouts. because that is what we eat. I feed real food. We can have a bit of snack junk. But my kid knows the difference.

parents. all about the parents. education for everyone I guess.

truly horrible the weight of people in this world today.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem - funny how different siblings can be! I've always enjoyed veggies, but my older sister was always SUPER picky. Younger sibs generally had pretty diverse palates. Older sis moved to VERY rural Alaska for a while, and came home & married a guy who is half-Thai. She definitely has more diverse tastes now. Funny thing is, her oldest daughter is like she was, but worse. She eats PLAIN chicken, PLAIN rice, PLAIN carrots, etc. But HER siblings will eat pretty much anything. My nephew likes to brag about how much he likes his dad's spicy Thai cooking.

smileyfacecat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This revelation is really not ground breaking to me. Being a "20 something" (will be officially 21 tomorrow), I see what my generation consumes on a daily basis. Friends of mine are astonished at what's in my refrigerator, often warranting the "What the heck is that?!", or the ever popular "You don't have anything 'good' to eat!". Mind you, I am a lactovegetarian (for health reasons) and consume more than the recommended amount of produce everyday. Heck, I haven't touch a can of soda/pop in about a decade, and I haven't the foggiest what a twinkie tastes like. The worst thing me and my family eats are wasabi peas. Yes, we occasionally eat sweet goodies from time to time, but they are always homemade, and typically have a veggie or fruit base instead of sugar.
I come from a family where fresh produce is the main stable in our diets. My parents had me eating whole artichokes at age 4, and dessert in my house consisted of frozen berries over a scoop of yogurt. Now don't get me wrong, I understand that eating healthy takes some time and preparation, but things can be made and frozen for later use. Eating a nutritious diet doesn't have to cost a fortune either, grow a garden, buy seasonal foods locally and preserve them for later use. Eating seasonally not only saves money, but your body is programmed to eat with the seasons so you may find yourself feeling well feed for longer durations.
Another thing that erks me is the fact that parents (not meaning to be hateful, just giving an example) think that they can substitute something like PediaSure for healthy food, just because their kid's 'don't like anything healthy'. I really wish I would see more parents stop yelling at their children for not eating their veggies, when they themselves haven't eaten them. Be an example, do not let your child be a statistic. Multivitamins won't solve the epidemic of obesity, healthy, wholesome, nutritious foods will.

(I hope I haven't offended anyone, just saying my piece. :happy_flower)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
[smileyfacecat]This revelation is really not ground breaking to me. Being a "20 something" (will be officially 21 tomorrow), Smileyface cat Happy Birthday on Dec. 1st (A small world) you see you where born on my 34th BD. Ooops I just gave away my age. LOL Have a great Birthday. :bouquet

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie2378! That kid is going 1 better than me with the Brussels sprouts :p! But, I'll happily eat the cabbage!

smileyfacecat said:
. . . (I hope I haven't offended anyone, just saying my piece. :happy_flower)
Well, I'm deeply offended . . . that you apparently learned all of this without my influence, SFC!

Happy Birthday SFC AND Carol!!
BirthdaySnoopyHappyDance.gif

I really hope that school cafeteria food is better! Carol!?? We sure can't just do it by offering an apple. I mean, I didn't even know that I liked raw apples until I started peeling them - see how kids are? I thought the best thing you could do with an apple, if you weren't going to make a pie out of it, was to throw it for the Border Collie to chase!

thistlebloom said:
. . . So what do you do?
I'm afraid that I'm going to be much closer to someone who will be dying of lung cancer over the next few years than I'd ever choose to be. That person still cannot quit smoking! Something about "God's Will" or something or other. Well, if I take a shortcut across the freeway enuf times maybe it will be God's Will that I end up as a grease spot out there on the asphalt. The children left behind are just now adults and may be interpreting this as some kind of rational behavior - I'm not sure.

I was a vegetarian for a few years while my oldest was a little guy. He has been back and forth as a vegetarian for many more years than I was :). I bought him 3 cookbooks last year for his birthday!

The microwave had arrived by the time my youngest came along. Kate, I tried to be a good role model for her. You know, an apple that has been chopped up and nuked can really be popular with a kid. You put some raisins in there and splash some cream on it and they'll accept it as dessert ;)!

Wok, V? I used to be not much for salads but let's say you take everything you might put in a salad. Then, you take everything that you would put in a salad dressing - how about, oil, good vinegar and a sprinkle of seasoning salt. Now, get that oil hot, toss all your veggies in and at the last minute throw in the vinegar and seasoning salt! Serve that over rice! Now, you are cooking!! Your kid will think you are some kind of magician :cool:. And, eat twice or 3 times as much of the veggies as he or she would eat in a salad.

And, if they are bratty nephews that won't - send 'em home with some cranky words to their parents, Lesa :/! Maybe next time they will be a little more polite when they are guests in someone's home!

Anyway, this has been my experience and it wasn't quite where I was coming from. Dad and Mom expected me to clean my plate - just like your parents Joan. They grew up during the Depression. Dad has always expected that it would return - falling down around his ears like it must have when he was 10 or 12. Dad will be 94 this winter, you don't suppose time will prove him right do you, Hoodat?

Kassaundra, I don't think that there is anything more important that we can do for our children than to teach them the importance of good sleep habits, exercise, and nutrition, along with those 3 R's! If that can continue thru their years of education maaaybe it will stick. But, as you all seem to be saying: at some point in time, they have to take it on themselves - that's what we call adulthood.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
digits. At our district every effort is being made to improve lunches. Whole grain breads. 2 choices of fresh fruit and veg daily. I think we have only served french fries ( and those are baked, not fried) once in the 1st 3 months of school! Still you can only offer it and hope they eat it.
And thanks for the BD wishes. :)

Latest posts