Our Young People

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think we can just point a finger at any one reason--all the posters have listed many valid reasons. I would like to incude:
1:The rush that working parents are in, not only when they get home to hungry children, but in the grocery store, and every other aspect.
2:Adult children may not take our well-meaning advice. They are too busy to research it and learn in their own way.
3:Young kids are addicted to sugar and salt, from pre-packaged "food." Many don't know where actual food comes from. If they were allowed to help in the kitchen, they might be more willing to eat the food they help cook. Mom is too busy to take the time to supervise/teach them. Maybe Mom doesn't know how to cook. Amazing how few adults know how to cook real food.
4: Take a look at a meal that the general public considers healthy: "fat-free homogenized-pasturized milk"? Processed and refined wheat and corn in cute shapes, drenched in sugar or HFCS? Soft white bread? "Ham" loaf? Instant mashed potatoes? Gravy from an envelope? Cheese-food product? Processed meat full of chemicals?
5: Healthy food requires good teeth. (Unless you want to liquify everything)
6: Healthy food Is more expensive. If you have two dollars for meat, are you going to buy a package of hotdogs or half a chicken breast?If a person doesn't have access to a garden or a grandma who cans, they are not going to have access to affordable healthy food. Stores take advantage of that. Have you ever seen Big-mart having a BOGO sale on fresh vegetables? No.
7: Big-Food industry and government are a little too cosy. How did aspartame get on the market???
OK, I'll go back in my corner now.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I don't think we can just point a finger at any one reason--all the posters have listed many valid reasons. I would like to incude:
1:The rush that working parents are in, not only when they get home to hungry children, but in the grocery store, and every other aspect.
2:Adult children may not take our well-meaning advice. They are too busy to research it and learn in their own way.
3:Young kids are addicted to sugar and salt, from pre-packaged "food." Many don't know where actual food comes from. If they were allowed to help in the kitchen, they might be more willing to eat the food they help cook. Mom is too busy to take the time to supervise/teach them. Maybe Mom doesn't know how to cook. Amazing how few adults know how to cook real food.
4: Take a look at a meal that the general public considers healthy: "fat-free homogenized-pasturized milk"? Processed and refined wheat and corn in cute shapes, drenched in sugar or HFCS? Soft white bread? "Ham" loaf? Instant mashed potatoes? Gravy from an envelope? Cheese-food product? Processed meat full of chemicals?
5: Healthy food requires good teeth. (Unless you want to liquify everything)
6: Healthy food Is more expensive. If you have two dollars for meat, are you going to buy a package of hotdogs or half a chicken breast?If a person doesn't have access to a garden or a grandma who cans, they are not going to have access to affordable healthy food. Stores take advantage of that. Have you ever seen Big-mart having a BOGO sale on fresh vegetables? No.
7: Big-Food industry and government are a little too cosy. How did aspartame get on the market???
OK, I'll go back in my corner now.
Funny you should mention Aspartame. That's one of the 'Cerebral-destruction-in-a-can' (diet cola etc. ;) ) sugars I meant. The other is Fructose.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come out of that corner, So Lucky!

I don't remember all of what I said a couple months ago - the memory is the 1st to go :rolleyes:. But, we can beat this subject around a little more. There is, probably, entirely too much agreement amongst us -- and, that can't be a healthy thing ;).

About that good teeth thing: I suppose that I've got fairly good teeth but liquify things has been my technique a couple times lately :D. I've made the HotPepperQueen's tomato soup twice in the last few days! I like cream soups - yeah I know, some people don't :tongue. Still, it is nice way to use veggies and a break from the casseroles I've been making too many of, anyway.

"Maybe Mom doesn't know how to cook." Maybe Mom doesn't realize that kids are often getting the very simplest foods in their school cafeteria. Often, they are eating the cooked carrots, green beans, broccoli ("trees" :p) and if'n Mom can't steam a vegetable, I don't know if we can trust her to boil water.

I'm not much of a cook but we must eat more veggies and fruit that 80% or 90% of Americans. We do okay but let me tell you, there's no haute cuisine in this home.

Please Mom, peel an apple, steam a pea pod . . . if'n you don't have the energy or time . . . make Dad do it!

Steve :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think we are a good example of "Preachin' to the choir" :D (well, I am, anyway) And hey, now that pizza has been declared a vegetable for school lunches, maybe Domino's and Pizza Hut can be listed as health food stores.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Arrggh!

All that grease & salt!

You know, I do like a nice smoked this or that every now or then. But, sliced thin and distributed amongst the veggies . . .

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I think we are a good example of "Preachin' to the choir".
Exactly. I don't think there is anyone here who doesn't agree with what has been said so far...
On the pessimist side, all this talking is in vain.
On the optimist side, no arguments!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can tell you... my kids were with my mom for a while when I first got to NC and got situated and were often times with her right after school until bed time because I was in college or working. When we were all joined again I had to battle the "3 no thank you" foods. My mom actually let them pick 3 foods that they didn't have to eat no matter what. My son picked cabbage, lettuce, and potatoes. My daughter picked cabbage, onions, and peppers. I am proud to say that my son will now eat potatoes like they are going out of style, and will eat lettuce if its got ranch on it, tho he's still not a huge fan of cabbage, will eat it on rare occasions. My daughter will eat all 3 now! :)

I can say that I try to eat as many veggies and fruits as I can.. I will throw celery, onions and garlic just about any ground beef (or ground turkey) recipe that I make, I also try to have a veggie as well, usually corn or green beans, but I do throw salad in and less often lima beans.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds good, QT.

My mom worked as a waitress when she was young. Maybe for that reason, our plates came to the table with the food already on it. If she put the food on our plates, we had to eat it. I'm sure we complained at times but there was often dessert - Mom was a good baker (G'ma, too :)). If we didn't clean our plates . . . no dessert.

This may be why I have this thing for cookies, pies and cirinammonmon rolls :p. They were often out there and there was only 1 way, I could get at them - thru the vegetables :rolleyes:.

Then, I lived in a valley filled with fruit orchards!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
While you see the problems from the kids, the real problem is their parents who raised them. Our kids are what we taught them. :cool: