Pea help???

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know to soak up nitrogen you could plant corn or squash. They will soak it up like a sponge. Hope that helps.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hummm....

I do have some room in that bed since my broccoli never came up. I will check my seeds and see what I can still get in there.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have flowers!

The darn things are over 4' tall though. Seriously....I have never had pea vines get that tall. I either found the PERFECT spot in the yard to grow them (early and late sun, shade mid day) OR the duck compost I used is exactly what they needed.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi! :frow

wifezilla: :D CONGRATULATIONS ON THE FLOWERS!

Mine are always that tall (or taller) unless I grow a variety like "Twinkle" which you can grow in pots or that one that is all tendrils & is like barbed wire -- can't remember it's name! :old :idunno

This year I filled one of my small raised beds with peas & they grew to just above my height (5' 4") & they looked so neat & tidy. I was very proud because it was so organised (like other peoples gardens, not mine). When along comes a hale-storm & they all flop over at about 4' 6". Mind you they recovered & are still growing, flowering & producing evermore delicious peas. So neatness isn't everything. :cool: :gig

:rose Hattie :rose

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey wifezillia, my peas just started flowering last week (Fri) and some of them are very tall also, I think it may be our cooler and wetter than usual season and your good duck compost, they were just enjoying the extended grow time. I have some volunteer pea plants in the south garden and they just stated to flower yesterday.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
COgirl said:
Hey wifezillia, my peas just started flowering last week (Fri) and some of them are very tall also, I think it may be our cooler and wetter than usual season and your good duck compost, they were just enjoying the extended grow time. I have some volunteer pea plants in the south garden and they just stated to flower yesterday.
Hi! :frow

That makes perfect sense because the UK is pretty wet, especially in the Spring & early Summer.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie, Colorado spring weather usually isn't usually friendly to cool weather crops. We go from mild winter weather in March to blizzards in April to heat waves in May during a typical year.

This year we had our usual March nonsense, but the heat has only made a few short appearances. I also experimented with planting MUCH earlier than usual and on most of the cool crops I planted, they did great. I will plant very early next spring too.

COgirl, it sure will be nice to have fresh peas for once :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is crazy because my peas are DONE for the season. I have one plant still producing... but I am yanking the peas off young and just eating them in the garden while I'm trying to age the last 2 large pods so I can dry the peas for planting this fall.

I am head over heels for these snap peas... that are the YUMMIEST ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey wifezilla! :frow

You said maybe you had never seen a healthy pea-plant!! Take a look at this chap's -- his have got mine beat (it's in the 2nd line of photos):-

http://www.thegardenguy.org/html/photos.html

How are your pea-flowers doing?

We have got amazingly good weather at the moment -- great for all my summer veg! :love :ya

Have a great weekend! :rainbow-sun

Latest posts