Pear tree

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want one. Are they self pollinating or do they need a pollinator? Most fruit trees do better with a pollinator, even if they are self pollinating. Are pears the same way?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I want one. Are they self pollinating or do they need a pollinator? Most fruit trees do better with a pollinator, even if they are self pollinating. Are pears the same way?
I really don't know. I just planted a couple of different varieties and they all flower. I do know that my Red Bartlett is a football field or more away from the other pears and does just fine. It is planted with apple and other fruit trees.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It varies by type. Some are not self-pollinating at all but some are. Most of the ones that will self-pollinate do a lot better if they are cross-pollinated. I think there are a few that really dont need another pollinator. I cant remember which varieties are which.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You must have two pear trees, but they don't have to be yours or on your property. When I planted my first pear tree I got pear the first season bc one of my neighbors has a pear tree. Btw, I'm cutting down the first pear tree. The drought did quite a number on it and it hasn't really recovered. Also, I studied up on pear trees and there are only 6 varieties of pear FRUIT trees. The one I'm eliminating is a Spiced Pear Tree. It yielded some fruit but not much. The younger and smaller one yielded 31 full size lovely pears this year. It is a Bartlett.
http://www.almanac.com/plant/pears
http://www.ehow.com/list_7489017_different-types-pear-trees.html
You don't want ornamental pear trees if you want a lot of fruit.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, I a have a 4 multi-graft pear tree that I got this spring. It gave me 3 pears that were very good. I bought it because I had a coupon, it was in a 10 gal. and was only $7! It has Kieffer pear, which is supposed to do well here in the bay area. With the 4 pears I don't have to worry about pollination.

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
there are very few self pollinating pears. i currently have 4 trees, 2 moonglow, 1 keiffer, and 1 sugar sweet. i'd like to add a couple more varieties but i need to thin some other trees around the property before i do that. i have a couple sites bookmarked for trees at a decent price. i haven't bought from them before so i don't know how good they really are.
http://fruittreefarm.com/index.htm# shipping looks a little expensive but the trees are not too expensive. you do need to order these before December or they sell out.
http://www.vaughnnursery.com/ not sure on the shipping but you could give them a call.

and the good ole reliable Stark Bros. for some good and healthy trees.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know I'm getting a Bartlett. Still undecided on the other. Chickie, have you tried canning the moonglow? I like the Bartlett because, from what I have read, it should ripen in late August here. That would put it ready at just after apple season, so it wouldn't clash with another harvest. I have to plan things that way. Right now, late August is the only time of the season that I have nothing to harvest or can.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, for what its worth, a local fruit farm here grows Delicious variety pears. I dont know if they got them from Stark Brothers or not but I have my suspicions.

Is there some way you can check with a local orchard and see what they grow? Maybe even try a few of those pears to see what you think? Pears are a fairly long term investment. It takes a while for them to produce. The more knowledge you can gain beforehand the better.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my pear trees are too young to produce anything yet. i expect about 3-4 years before i get anything from them. check around with your local cooperative extension to see if they recommend certain varieties for their disease resistance. i chose the Moonglow mostly because of it's name but it had some added benefit of disease resistance, and it was hardy to our area. a local pick your own farm is growing that this year but i don't think theirs are ready for picking since i haven't seen them offered up for sale. it could be their trees are too young or they are still trying to figure when they are best for harvesting and giving them another year.

btw, European pears ripen best off the tree after some cool storage. so even leaving them on the tree for some time is not a bad thing. Asian pears are usually ripe on the tree and don't store as long.

i should have mentioned that had we been at our other house still, this year i would have seen some fruit from my Moonglow i had planted over there about 4 years ago.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, there is a kind of complicated way of deciding which pear variety needs to be pollinated by what other variety.

Short version is, yes,

:bee Pear trees need pollinator varieties. :bee

Latest posts