Perennial Shade Plant Suggestions Needed

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hum-m-m-m. Aren't all the Ivy League schools built of stone and/or brick? They are covered with Ivy -- hence the name. I don't think ivy plants grow into the brick or mortar, just attach themselves and grow on. On the other hand, the vines can grow under shingles and wooden siding sometimes.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hum-m-m-m. Aren't all the Ivy League schools built of stone and/or brick? They are covered with Ivy -- hence the name. I don't think ivy plants grow into the brick or mortar, just attach themselves and grow on. On the other hand, the vines can grow under shingles and wooden siding sometimes.
Ivy does deteriorate the mortar and require repair.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The house IS very pretty. Here are few inside photos.

The steps that go to the second floor also go down into the kitchen. Note the "Harry Potter" closet below the steps.

Look fast. This front door is falling apart and will soon be replaced by a steel door. The woodwork is identical to the woodwork at our 100yo+ house. The front door is the same as ours, EXCEPT somebody closed in the front porch at my house and kept the front door and screen door from the weather for the past 50 years.

My DD's got a fireplace. MY house never had one. It started with a coal burning furnace of sorts and then a boiler.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful big brick house. Too bad about the front door. A steel door can keep out the weather, but I prefer original wood whenever possible.

You are right about the side yard. That big tree will keep planting choices to shade lovers. If they don't want constant work weeding, they might want to plant hostas and ferns. Lots of nice, interesting plant material without a lot of tending -- and all the foliage dies back completely so raking up is neat and easy.

Latest posts