Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The sowing starts! One tray small brassicas, one tray lettuces, and another tray of peas+radishes
15834.jpg

Time to recycle food containers, too - it acts as a dome to keep some moist before sprouting.
15833(1).jpg

Another potted rose rescued from the discounter, 50% off
15838.jpg

Here we go! There are six rooted stems in one pot.
15839.jpg

Some are stronger, and some are weaker. I removed all flowers, buds, and pruned them a bit.
15840.jpg

Let them sit in the water for a couple of hours.
15841.jpg

Re-potted - and wish them for a completely new start!
15832_0.jpg

Today's baking:
Cheese Cake in Pie Shell ( with 80% less sugar)
90% Dark Chocolate Ganache with Crushed Financier, Rum Cranberry, and Valrhona Crunchy Pearls
15835.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The seeds are emerging, and it's the moment so full of life.
P2010684.JPG

In four days, two different Iceberg letteuces, chrysanthemum for leaves (Garland Chrysanthemum), and red-leaved Batavia lettuce (Sarragossa) sprout very well. I removed them from indoor dark corner to the greenhouse.
16004.jpg

Small brassicas are also doing well, especially Pak Choi and Pak Choi :lol: Well, Ta Tsoi is just a Rosette-shaped Pak Choi.
16005.jpg

Peas, radishes, and cherry radishes are also coming out pretty quickly.

16044.jpg

16043.jpg

That means, time to clean the greenhouse, especially the glasses! Not a romantic part of gardening work, but who doesn't love clean glasses?
16010.jpg

I plan to finish them in three days, and today's result already makes me happy.

16011.jpg

16009.jpg

16008.jpg

16007.jpg

I also re-arranged the shelves in the small compartment, and love to see how to further optimize the overall space efficiency.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Baking practices recently - some are just for fun, like those lean bread. It's easy to get even better bread in the discounters or supermarket here at a reasonable price - not worthy to spend my time to further enhance them.
15847_0.jpg

15862_0.jpg

But much softer and richer loafs (with milk, honey, and yogurt) like this will be offered in my shop, as it's no way to buy them in the surrounding. The only possibility is go to Düsseldorf (round trip for 3hrs) and spend a lot ...so, investing some time and effort is a much better alternative. Besides, it's a product with good potentiality - no matter for selling it as it is, or use it as an element.

Luckily, I got those molds two weeks ago at a 50% discount - this size loaf is also rare to see here.
15988.jpg

16046.jpg

I love to toast the bread directly in the pan with a generous amount of butter and sprinkled some salt. When the bread itself is made with good quality ingredients and in a proper way, making it delicious is always easy.
15995.jpg

I also use the same dough to create a lovely treat with a jumbo cup cake mold. The bread became the base here, and I added chiffon cake batter (pumpkin spice) on the top. As mentioned, it's a combo product. :D
15987.jpg

That's it - you will enjoy a light chiffon cake at the beginning, transition into a soft, milky bread in the middle, and finish with a flavorful coffee-infused filling at the bottom. I am pretty satisfied with this creation.
15997.jpg

I also made some pizza dough for DH. Now, he is not willing to pay for the frozen ones. :p
15976.jpg

Chiffon cake rolls are also under optimization, and I would fix 5 flavors (batter and filling) first.
15971_0.jpg

For example, I plan to create one cake roll with this apple compote complemented by a finishing touch of pear, apple, and honey brandy.
16047.jpg

February would embody a harmonious synergy between baking and gardening activities. I love it!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Phaedra, I am dumbfounded by how much you accomplish each day. You seem to be a natural-born baker, but talent alone can only get you so far. There is hard work involved, and a person can only accomplish so much in one day. Each of these baking projects require a lot of time and energy-- especially so when you are developing new recipes with multiple test bakes. You are a rare and special individual, and I look to your posts as a constant source of creative inspiration. If there were a Home Economics Olympiad I think you would be on the podium. 😊

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Phaedra say’s - “February would embody a harmonious synergy between baking and gardening activities. I love it!”

Alasgun say’s - February would embody a harmonious synergy between plowing snow and keeping warm while waiting for gardening activities. And, while i don’t particularly Love this part, there’s no where id rather be cept maybe somewhere on the equator!

Minus 22f today with a couple more days predicted.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Phaedra, I am dumbfounded by how much you accomplish each day. You seem to be a natural-born baker, but talent alone can only get you so far. There is hard work involved, and a person can only accomplish so much in one day. Each of these baking projects require a lot of time and energy-- especially so when you are developing new recipes with multiple test bakes. You are a rare and special individual, and I look to your posts as a constant source of creative inspiration. If there were a Home Economics Olympiad I think you would be on the podium. 😊
Thank you, I found that gardening and cooking shared something in common - boundless for creativity and fun. Meanwhile, they both can bring joys to myself and people around me. I guess that's the reason attracted me so much.

One of the testers is a senior doctor and happy to see my cakes as she has at least 10 hours to stay in the operating room today. Another tester has a family member to take care for some sudden medical issues, and she told DH that the cakes comfort.

I'm also delighted that these baked goods can bring a touch of warmth into someone's hands.

Minus 22f today with a couple more days predicted.
Oh my! Please stay warm! The weather here seems pretty mild for the coming two weeks. After that, some minus temperature might arrive. So my gardening activities will be majorly cleaning and reading, I guess. :p

Latest posts