Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One side of the small compartment in the greenhouse is completely cleaned (anther three to go), and the growing lights are also on their duty.
16057.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! You know how to make cake rolls! I tried to make my daughter a rainbow cake roll, I don't believe it was this recipe, but something like this: https://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com/rainbow-cake-roll/

I tried to bake it three separate times and no matter what I tried, the cake wouldn't roll up! It cracked. How do you avoid cracking with a cake roll?
The recipe in the link is for me a strange one, and the reasons are:
1. Assume it used egg white only (so it's an angel cake? I have no idea what's in the "Duncan Hines White Cake Mix", but there might be baking powder and egg yolk powder.) - during separating the batter, adding colors, putting the batter into pipes, and finally pipping, a lot of the air bubbles in the Meringue/whipped egg white (which are supposed to support the cake structure) might already gone - this might lead to a batter that is lack of necessary elasticity (sorry for my wording, I am not very sure if it's precise.) If you take a closer look of the photos in the link, the cake is cracked, too.

2. Another factor might be the baking temperature and time. Cake rolls are usually baked in sheet/shallow trays, and the thickness is much thinner. If the baking temperature is too high or baking time too long, the cake roll will crack much easier, too.

2. I personally prefer use Chiffon batter instead of sponge or angel cake batter to make the cake roll. Chiffon cake is reputational for its moist and soft texture, which is 100% relying on a fully whipped Meringue. Usually, there is no other rising agent in Chiffon cake recipe. A plain Chiffon cake needs very basic ingredients - cake flour, sugar, a little bit salt (to balance the flavor), milk, vegetable oil, eggs - available in most of the household.

Ah, now I sound like a sales representative for promoting chiffon cakes, haha, sorry sorry.

As the chiffon cake is usually much softer and more moist, when it cools down (very quickly) to the temperature, you can already spread whatever filling you want - whipped cream, jam, sour cream, etc and roll it. After that, let it sit and rest in the fridge for one hour.

It's easier to watch a video, and maybe take a try when you want.

For the rainbow like cake, a sponge cake that uses extra baking powder and/or baking soda (need to work with acid ingredients) with higher liquid content might be a better choice.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dunno about cakes but I do know about pies.
Have you tried rolling it out between waxed paper and refridgerating it for a few hours?
Works for pie crust (especially my all butter crust) but I don't think a risen cake would take kindly to being flattened with a rolling pin between layers of waxed paper.

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
1. Assume it used egg white only (so it's an angel cake? I have no idea what's in the "Duncan Hines White Cake Mix", but there might be baking powder and egg yolk powder.) - during separating the batter, adding colors, putting the batter into pipes, and finally pipping, a lot of the air bubbles in the Meringue/whipped egg white (which are supposed to support the cake structure) might already gone - this might lead to a batter that is lack of necessary elasticity (sorry for my wording, I am not very sure if it's precise.) If you take a closer look of the photos in the link, the cake is cracked, too.

2. Another factor might be the baking temperature and time. Cake rolls are usually baked in sheet/shallow trays, and the thickness is much thinner. If the baking temperature is too high or baking time too long, the cake roll will crack much easier, too.

2. I personally prefer use Chiffon batter instead of sponge or angel cake batter to make the cake roll. Chiffon cake is reputational for its moist and soft texture, which is 100% relying on a fully whipped Meringue. Usually, there is no other rising agent in Chiffon cake recipe. A plain Chiffon cake needs very basic ingredients - cake flour, sugar, a little bit salt (to balance the flavor), milk, vegetable oil, eggs - available in most of the household.

Ah, now I sound like a sales representative for promoting chiffon cakes, haha, sorry sorry.

As the chiffon cake is usually much softer and more moist, when it cools down (very quickly) to the temperature, you can already spread whatever filling you want - whipped cream, jam, sour cream, etc and roll it. After that, let it sit and rest in the fridge for one hour.

For the rainbow like cake, a sponge cake that uses extra baking powder and/or baking soda (need to work with acid ingredients) with higher liquid content might be a better choice.
This makes so much sense why it didn't work now. Thank you! I may try a regular chiffon cake just to see if I can do it and then go from there.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

This is very interesting. I'd assumed a chiffon cake was just a synonym for an angel or sponge cake. What did I know? Not much hahaha! A packaged white cake mix would not be an angel cake, just an ordinary cake without egg yokes, like a traditional wedding cake.

I'm pretty sure if I tried to make a cake roll, it would not turn out well! The closest I ever came was to make crepes occasionally long ago, rolled up with strawberry jam inside. Pancake-like things are easier to manage!

Latest posts