Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
For some reason, I just can't grow these. What do you do to them Carol?

Mary
MARY, almost nothing! I started with a potted plant placed it is a rocky area near my koi pond with almost full sun. (But that is not needed!) They have self seeded and spread a little. I guess I probably helped as I do tend to shake some seed out into the area when the pods are dry. They may not like CA. IA has 4 definite seasons, Damp spring, hot summers, cool falls and COLD winters. I could send some seed if you want to give them another try.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I have bought 4" plants in the past. All the nurseries sell them so they must grow here. I admit though that I haven't seen in in anyone's garden.

Ok, send me some seeds but just around 6. I really don't have much room. This year I am going to plant some seeds that Marshall sent me in my perennial bed wherever I see 2 inches of bare space! Ha

Oh, any fushia colored ones? :p

I'll pm you my address.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the color of the blue dress as well, but I drool over the rich, royal purple of that flower. I guess that means I want them both. Include shipping and check your conversations to get my address.

No, seriously, I do love both those colors, but they would look far better in my garden than on me. I am not the formal gown type.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Masoud, what does it take to grow that Glory Lily? (Is it possible to grow it outdoors?) It has some medicinal properties that I would like to utilize.

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SeedObsesser,

You need the rhizomes, I buy most of my bulbs, glory or not, from Easy to Grow Bulbs, http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/c-160-gloriosa-lilies.aspx

Plant them horizontally, when the soil is warm (late May) about 2" deep in a sunny spot, in well drained mix.

Water well once, and allow the soil to dry between waterings until the bulbs sprout. They need something to cling onto by the tips of their leaves, they do not twist around a string, like morning glories do. Expect them to get 6' + tall. I use big pots for them, 3 rhizomes in a 16" pot work well. They are fast growers, heavy drinkers and feeders. Watch for whiteflies, spider mites, and slugs if planted in the ground.

Store the rhizomes indoor before frost gets them.

All parts of the plant is poisonous.

Last edited:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SeedObserver,

You need the rhizomes, I buy most of my bulbs, glory or not, from Easy to Grow Bulbs, http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/c-160-gloriosa-lilies.aspx

Plant them horizontally, when the soil is warm (late May) about 2" deep in a sunny spot, in well drained mix.

Water well once, and allow the soil to dry between waterings until the bulbs sprout. They need something to cling onto by the tips of their leaves, they do not twist around a string, like morning glories do. Expect them to get 6' + tall. I use big pots for them, 3 rhizomes in a 16" pot work well. They are fast growers, heavy drinkers and feeders. Watch for whiteflies, spider mites, and slugs if planted in the ground.

Store the rhizomes indoor before frost gets them.

All parts of the plant is poisonous.

Thanks Masoud!

No way that I plan on using them internally! It's all for external use.
Slugs are a real problem here, so I'll probably fence an area off a special area for them and the Muscovy ducks, so the Muscovies can keep the area slug-free.

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Masoud!

No way that I plan on using them internally! It's all for external use.
Slugs are a real problem here, so I'll probably fence an area off a special area for them and the Muscovy ducks, so the Muscovies can keep the area slug-free.
You are welcome SeedObsesser and forgive me for bad spelling, the first time!
Seeds of the plant are available, but I am sure they will take several years to maturity.