Poor man's cloche

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I leave the ends of the cloche open so the plants don't fry. I do have a soaker hose inside until the tent comes off or watering would be impossible without removing it.
digitS' said:
If my gardens weren't at such a distance from my home . . . this, that or another cloche would make so much sense to me!

I set up one of my hoopies in the closest garden about 10 years ago. We had an early bit of hot, sunny weather. I cut half-moons in the plastic so that it could vent the heat. Being there early and late and mid-day - every day just wasn't possible. It still worked quite well to help the plants get an earlier start.

Cathy, my squash plants look about like your outside-the-cloche plants.

Steve

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your garden really looks lovely!

I am looking to do some high tunnels next year as well. I think I'm going to do it to get my melons out early and get friuts sooner. Also, we are thinking of high tunneling our strawberries to get that super sugar sweet out of them and push them a little earlier. I'm thinking I can set up my high tunnels with the intention of moving to the next spot.

How long is your plastic lasting?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It can last many seasons if you take a little care of it. I have had in puncture with sharp wire, but if you use coated wire it last a long time-several seasons. It's pretty cheap at Wal-mart.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I leave the ends of the clone open so the plants don't fry. . .
Day & night, Cathy?

The idea with the half moons . . . or, "smiles" cut in the plastic is that the heated air will lift them. When it cools, the flaps stay down. I really don't know how well it worked .

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never had to close it.It got pretty cold for a night or 2 and I was worried. I watered the plants before the cold and they all made it-even those near the open ends.
digitS' said:
catjac1975 said:
I leave the ends of the clone open so the plants don't fry. . .
Day & night, Cathy?

The idea with the half moons . . . or, "smiles" cut in the plastic is that the heated air will lift them. When it cools, the flaps stay down. I really don't know how well it worked .

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks!
April Manier said:
Your garden really looks lovely!

I am looking to do some high tunnels next year as well. I think I'm going to do it to get my melons out early and get friuts sooner. Also, we are thinking of high tunneling our strawberries to get that super sugar sweet out of them and push them a little earlier. I'm thinking I can set up my high tunnels with the intention of moving to the next spot.

How long is your plastic lasting?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice looking garden catjac, That looks like it would work over here in my neck of the woods, with our cool wet springs lately we need something to get things going earlier. Our squash is only 1/2 the size of yours.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
looks great ! I wish I had those! But the wind here is almost impossible! they can get up to 55mph! Next time I will try this, and rearrange the garden around to make it better !

Latest posts