Pulled my garlic today!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Way to go, garlic is one of my favorite things to plant and grow. Its easy, but long... the pay off in the end is so worth though.

Thistle, is that a little farmer tractor toy in your pictures?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
This is my first real year growing garlic. I'm not counting last year where I kinda goofed up the bed in spring, even though I did harvest some.

So, today I harvested 40 bulbs and a lot of them were big enough to impress me :)

This fall I'm going to double what I planted last year. Garlic is so fun to grow!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7504_garlic_harvest_picket_gardenjuly_13_001.jpg
NICE! I am going to pull mine today and like you it is my first year. I pulled about 6 a couple days ago that are small and were in a box up here by the house. I think there is probably 20 out in the garden to pull. They are hardneck and either a red or purple hint of color to them.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Monty, I finally figured out what two varieties i planted...it definitely wasn't in my garden records :/. I planted Killarney and Purple Glazer,

( I had thought I planted Inchellium Red, but I guess I was cornfused ) The purple Glazer got nice and big. I bought both varieties at the local Farmers Market. When I told the farmer I bought it from that I was planting it, he said Good, I wish everyone would, then I could quit growing it!

Cane, I'm hoping it will keep fairly long in a cool inside closet. My garage freezes if the temps get around or below zero.
My house might be smelling a bit garlicky this winter! Some will be replanted in October, and some I will try pickling. Right now it's curing in my shed on two repurposed window screens.

Vfem, that's not a toy. It's me on my tractor. Most people just don't realize how very petite I am....

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow Those are awesome! Congrats on the great harvest! I'm so glad I found this site. I can see there is a lot to learn on here!
I just bought some to plant the other day. I've never grown it before either.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've grown garlic like that, Ridgerunner,. . . once. This spring I planted some bulb pieces. Just this fall I raised them to find not much of a change. I replanted them Friday. Hopefully by next spring I will have a better harvest. *Note to self. . . . don't plant garlic in the spring in Wisconsin.

Latest posts