Pulled my garlic today!

DimondaleBergs

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Okay...silly question, I've never grown garlic before so do you just use a clove off of the seed bulb, or the entire bulb for each new plant?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@DimondaleBergs where are you moving to? Will you have room to have a garden? I see you have 4 posts, so you gotta get busy and join in the fun! I also see you didn't have a like, so I gave you one. Welcome to the forum, we LIKE new people!! :hugs

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We attended a garlic fest in Bennington VT a few weeks ago and I was amazed to see thousands of people there. In the parking lots there were cars from all over the northeast and Canada. Who would have thought that there was that much interest in garlic? To get into the spirit of the fest we purchased a variety of seed garlic bulbs. The bulbs were planted a few days ago, as we were instructed to do, however, we are having a spell of unusually warm weather and the bulbs are beginning to sprout. Some people advise stepping on the sprouting plants, but I am really not sure that I want to do that. Opinions welcome.
jackb

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember this topic coming up before @jackb, and if I remember right, it won't be a problem. I can't recall the members who had this happen with their garlic....maybe somebody else will and they can help us out here.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF I want large heads, they have to be fall planted.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine sprout in the fall too. No problem. I'll probably plant mine in the next week as soon as I dig the rest of the sweet potatoes and amend that soil.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year my garlic heads were small. Does this mean I need to amend and fertilize the beds more?

I will be planting my garlic October 15. It's just organic ones that I buy at the grocery store. I've had good luck with these in the past except they were small this year.

Mary

Latest posts