Ready for Christmas?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
At 5 years old she is over the age of worrying too much about little things choking her from putting everything in her mouth. My granddaughter is three so that is still a concern. How about making her a dream catcher, decorating it with chicken feathers or maybe other stuff you have around?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, are they already up to that age?!

It just got more imaginative but, at least, never an important diversion . . . until she went off to college & her boyfriend moved in with her :rolleyes:.

Santa Claus is supposed to take care of that. Presents stored in the closet, under the bed. A dream catcher is bound to help. Rock.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I am out of ideas for making gifts for the grand daughters. I've made monkeys, tutus, stick ponies, bunnies, other stuffed animals. I'm thinking of quillows, but that's not very exciting for a 5 year old to open. (Unless it's yellow, her fav color) Hand puppets? Fake fur vests? Bah! :barnie
I have a bedspread my grandmom made me about 20 years ago. I still useit every winter!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
That's an idea. They think their bedroom is haunted, so that might scare ghosts away.
Make GHOST AWAY SPRAY!! My daughter was fearless in the dark until her best friend told her all about monsters. I made her monster spray out of Pine-Sol and water in a spray bottle. I told her to draw a picture of a scary monster and then I put a big red magic marker X on it and taped it to the bottle. Then I gave her a long B.S. story how it killed monsters. It worked for weeks, just spray it every couple of weeks on windows (so they couldn't sneak in) in the closets (everybody knows monsters hide in closets) under the bed ( see closets) and across the doorways. Eyes bugged out, she asked me about the monster bodies.......I was reeling her in with this one :lol: ......... I convinced her that this monster spray was so powerful that when a monster came in contact with it, their bodies vaporized.

Monster spray worked for about a year. She sprayed her room whenever she felt scared or about every other night. :lol: She also thoughtfully sprayed my room and closets so the monsters wouldn't get her mommy. :love

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, I didn't think about it at the time, but I developed this phobia about monsters under the bed when I was about 9 or 10. Looking back, I see that it was after a pretty bad car wreck we had, and I was hospitalized far away from home. For years---decades!-- after that, I absolutely had to look under the bed every night before I went to bed. It's a good thing I finally outgrew it, because some nights now I don't think I would be able to get back up if I got down far enough to see under the bed. :D

The granddaughters wouldn't have come up with the "ghost" thing if their (now absent) mother hadn't planted the idea in their little heads.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I am out of ideas for making gifts for the grand daughters. I've made monkeys, tutus, stick ponies, bunnies, other stuffed animals. I'm thinking of quillows, but that's not very exciting for a 5 year old to open. (Unless it's yellow, her fav color) Hand puppets? Fake fur vests? Bah! :barnie
Here are some ideas for you, So Lucky... All pretty simple to sew too.

Butterfly wings - These are done with a light, see-through fabric and you can paint or draw on the pattern using a permanent marker.

Hideaway canopy - This one I'm making for DD6 to put over the head of her bed, but I'm going to use much cuter fabric and adorn it with butterflies. You can use a hula hoop for the frame.

Lace princess crowns - Uses fabric stiffener to form it, then spray paint with metallic and add a little bling.

Frog pond play set for imaginative play - I bought a piece of dark blue faux leather for the pond and am going to make it doublesided, with a fabric resembling a meadow on the other side and add little fairy dolls, silk flowers, plastic critters, pretty rocks, etc. and make a storage bag for it as well.

These are some things I found on Pinterest. So many neat ideas on there!

ETA: Somewhere out there on the web, I saw where someone actually made a Monster-repellant spray. I forget what they used for the spray itself, maybe body spray, and made a cute label to put over it.

ETAA: Ah yes, here you go... http://fairytalewishesinc.com/ Someone is actually making money off of that idea, Bay. :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such cute ideas! I'm trying to figure out how the canopy could be hung without their dad having to put a hook in the plaster ceiling of their 100 year old house.
There is a fabric outlet near by, where light weight curtain/drapery fabric can be bought as cheap as $1 a yard. So it wouldn't cost much to make the canopy.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm planning to hang mine with a little hook. I can't think of any other way you could hang it. You'd need something sturdy enough to hold up to a little pulling too.

Latest posts