Ready to Grow!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well here it is, December 1st already. How time fly's...
Minus 5 Celsius again last night, and the skiff of snow we rec'd is not melting.. it already looks like Christmas..lol.
Everthing in the veggie garden looks pretty sad, with the exception of the kale. I worry that my leeks may have frozen into mush, as this is the second freeze up they have had to endure. Normally they can take several good frosts without a problem, but several days of sub-zero..hmmm?:(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi BillS :frow

I've wondered how much frost my leeks can take. I've never pushed them too hard to find out. This year, I harvested, then ... froze 'em!

Yep, chopped them up - laid them out on a cookie sheet - left them like that in the freezer for about 3 days - put them in plastic bags. This seems to have worked great. The 1st time I've done something like this.

I'm a-wondering if'n the 3 bean plants are still out there with the Asian greens in the greenhouse. They can't last ... just can't.

Steve

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beans usually love warm soil, so the fact they even sprouted is quite something..! Maybe a new cold weather hardy hybrid, you have there Steve...lol

I imagine freezing leeks for adding to soups or stews, or casseroles would be just fine. I bet bagged up with a vacuum Food Saver would really work well. I use one for freezing my beans and zucchini, even corn niblets, and have been very pleased with the results..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not having bok choy at the table this December. Since plants in the garden were too far along to transplant to the greenhouse beds in October, I've only what was sown inside the greenhouse.

I believe I started these seeds in a container in September, then moved them to one end of a bed in mid-October. You can click to enlarge but they are still little things:

DSC01107.JPG

If I harvested everything pictured there, it would make about 4 servings. The direct-sown seedlings, elsewhere in the 2 beds, are only an inch or 2 high. I figure the plants will make 8 or 10 servings sometime in January and those seedlings will be coming out right thru February and early March for plenty of greens during those weeks! (There are some volunteer mustard greens in the picture :). Some of the seed-saving escapees.)

@jackb prompts me to take the camera out but I'd probably be too embarrassed to post a picture if I look at what he has for us ... okay, now I'll go over for a look ...

Steve

Latest posts