Redneck Greenhouse!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the admiration! It works just fine and keeps us in yummy tomatoes all winter. We just can't force ourselves to eat those red baseballs from the store. :sick

thistlebloom, so you'll be shoveling snow...........not me! And I'll be munching on yummy tomatoes! :lol: I'll take hurricane country any day over snow country. Hurricanes blow in, make a mess and blow back out. Yeah, if it's a bad one and if you're the one on TV news, it sucks. But I have lived in hurricane country all my life and have had major damage only once.......the house needed some work done anyway..... :lol:
Heckfire, snow comes to visit and STAYS awhile! I have an eye problem with snow......can't see myself shoveling snow!! :lol: :gig

Ninnymary, the redneck greenhouse is in the front yard for the same reason the garden is in the front yard, that's where the sunshine is! Too much shade in my tiny back yard, so DH has to suffer his wife doing all her crazy gardening in the front yard for all the town to see. I am amazed at the people who drive by and admire it!

Marshallsmyth, great idea!! I needed that nudge into starting up my own greenhouse business! :lol: Built in America for fine dining! :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Catjac1975, I googled planting zones and it looks like I am in zone 8. But we do get freezing weather, even down in the low 20 degrees, (for a night or two) so I put a small electric heater in the greenhouse and it stays warm enough to keep the tomatoes alive and well.

thistlebloom, no I am most decidedly not jealous! :lol: If I want snow, I go to the snowcone stand, it comes in flavors. :gig We get snow maybe once every 3-5 years. If it doesn't melt when it hits the ground, then it might last one or two days. We are total idiots and don't know how to drive on the stuff, lot of wrecks by the speed demons plowing into each other. :gig Schools and businesses close, much to the amusement to our northern neighbors.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had sliced tomatoes from our redneck greenhouse tonight! :weee My husband doesn't even mind the eyesore next to the front door! :lol: I also have 3 bell pepper plants, 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 orange one. They sure color up a salad! The tomato plants are loaded with green tomatoes, can't wait for more! :drool

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've thought about doing one similar here as well...
Most of our neighbors could care less what we have going on as long as they can't see it! :p

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was several ripe tomatoes in the greenhouse, right in the middle where I can't reach from either end. So, I removed the bricks that hold down the edges and rolled up the plastic.....just a little bit.........the ends are so securely duct taped, that I can't get the sides up very far. So i laid down on the brick walkway and helped by Parker, our Lab/Great Dane mix, I reached up and picked tomatoes! :lol: Parker was busy slurping his tongue in my ear, it is all cleaned out now. :gig