Red's world in pics

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now we move to plantings to the west side of the house. This is the first sunny perennial bed. Notice the straight lines? Behind the bed is a shrub row. Mostly St.John's Wort here.
1 sunny bed.JPG

St. John's Wort is a bee magnet!

This is the second sunny perennial bed. Straight lines and evergreen at both ends.
2 sunny bed2.JPG

Here is the third sunny perennial bed. My trellis for morning glories looks out of place without the vine and flowers. Shown from the rear.
3 sunny bed2.JPG

Same bed from the front. As always there is the arborvitae row along the road frontage.
3 sunny bed.JPG

Toward the back are my currant bushes, the grapes, and two old orchard trees.

Here is the dahlia bed. Squirrels or birds planted the sunflowers and I just couldn't pull 'em down.
dahlia bed Aug..JPG

Behind the dahlia bed is the first two of my clematis. In the first photo the darker flowers are in bloom. In this lower photo, the lighter lavender clematis is flowering.
Clematis- lavender.JPG

Here is my white clematis. This is also where Gypsy's Moon Garden will be sited.
Clematis- white.JPG

The shrub row use to divide the mowed lawn from the unkept field. Every time I mowed, it seemed I took another pass at the weeds leaving an even bigger 'lawn' we call the children's play yard.
shrub row 2.JPG

The shrub row has St. John's Wort, a mock orange, a dogwood, cottoneaster, and an American Sycamore. Harder to see are four Miss Kim lilacs, my tulip tree, red dogwoods, and an Empress Queen of China tree.

I love the American Sycamore. Here it hangs full of seed pods while its mottled bark adds winter interest.
american sycamore.JPG
To the far left is the first of my singing trees. Planted by a slow squirrel or an absent minded one, this stand of pin oak are bright red in the fall and retain their leaves through the winter to rustle in the wind. The next tree in the row is a tulip tree.

I can't load the tulip tree picture. It is an unusual tree in this area and so beautiful in bloom. The next series will be south of the perennial beds -- still west of the house. Bring a snack, it's a long walk.

Attachments

• popcorn tree.JPG
    popcorn tree.JPG
    325.7 KB · Views: 366

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much space! Just lovely, I would take a walk every morning there with my cup of tea.

What are those white little flowers on the grass? Is that clover? I don't think I've ever seen clover.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, clover and other assorted weeds. This is not a lawn we put in. It is just an area where I started mowing the weeds. After a while, this grass seemed to take over.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the dahlia bed. Squirrels or birds planted the sunflowers and I just couldn't pull 'em down.

I totally feel the same way. (And I end up enjoying them just as much.)

I've enjoyed "strolling" through your yard via pictures. :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bag packed double checked that my laces are tied.......lead the way Red! It's a beautiful spread you have there

Latest posts