Rhubarb in the south??

algopurple

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I live on the west end of Tennessee and have never seen anyone growing rhubarb and really knew nothing about it until last year when a few ladies on the sister site BYC were talking about putting it up with strawberries to make jam.
I am now crazy about trying to grow some but from what I have read, it does not do well in hot climates. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?
Our winters easily get below 30 here and summers get up past 100 F.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom grew rhubarb successfully In San Diego. It didn't attain the size that mine do and it wasn't real long lived, but we had plenty for pies and crisps . You will need to give it afternoon shade.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rhubarb doesn't do well with heat. I was never able to grow it in Oklahoma where Summers really got hot. It would barely stagger through the heat and try to revive in the fall but finally petered out. I never got more than three spindly stalks at a time.

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My grandmother lived in Springfield MO (zone 5) and grew it all over the place. She made the best rhubard/strawberry pies mmmmmmmmmm

algopurple

Leafing Out
Reaction score
sonjab314 said:
My grandmother lived in Springfield MO (zone 5) and grew it all over the place. She made the best rhubard/strawberry pies mmmmmmmmmm
I guess I should have mentioned what zone I live in. Most catalogs list my area as zone 6-7.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oooh, oooh! I want some too! Some nurseries sell it around here (Atlanta) but I have never seen it IN a garden here. I love rhubarb and the few times its in the stores, its expense and limp. If I see it around in the stores this spring, I'll experiment by putting it in the shadier areas of the garden. Who knows how it'll do here, or how the next summer weather will be like. Any body else out there try it?

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The other "secret" to growing rhubarb in hot places is lots and lots of water.

One of the most enormous (and productive) plants I've ever seen was growing on a downed log IN a river. I wish I could find the pics of that monster...it was over 5' tall and absolutely delicious. It appeared to have started life in a homestead garden, but by the time we came along (late 1960s) all that was left of the homestead was a pile of rotten logs and the monster, hydroponic rhubarb.

After several attempts at growing it here in the Panhandle, last year I planted one in where I dump all the water tubs for the critters and, if it survives the winter, I should be able to have some to eat this year.

algopurple

Leafing Out
Reaction score
desertcat said:
The other "secret" to growing rhubarb in hot places is lots and lots of water.

One of the most enormous (and productive) plants I've ever seen was growing on a downed log IN a river. I wish I could find the pics of that monster...it was over 5' tall and absolutely delicious. It appeared to have started life in a homestead garden, but by the time we came along (late 1960s) all that was left of the homestead was a pile of rotten logs and the monster, hydroponic rhubarb.

After several attempts at growing it here in the Panhandle, last year I planted one in where I dump all the water tubs for the critters and, if it survives the winter, I should be able to have some to eat this year.
Oh thanks for the tip. Will try that this summer. Might just grow it in a bucket with half water, half dirt and see what happens.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It doesn't do well here in Southern California, but I'm willing to give it another try, hopefully with lots more water this time.

I like to peel and eat rhubarb RAW with a sprinkle of salt.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thanks, I'll try one in the drip from the rain barrels. I thought the oxalic acid, even though very low in the stalks (vs the leaf) was not good to eat raw?

Latest posts