Rick's Tomato Trellises

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have more than one panel. I see that Rick used three, which I have. I was just wondering if I split them length wise for a 2x16 and then space my rows 2 feet apart would it be better? It would be easier picking them. I believe I have talked my self into the cages, it's just easier and a proven method around my area. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe so, Mandieg4. I use the tie wire you can find in the hardware store for things like this.

The trellis needs to be sturdy. When I used to build something like this out of 1 by 2 boards, the plants got so heavy with fruit that it didn't work very well - they sagged between the boards.

It would have taken a boat load of boards to duplicate what Rick has . . . and probably look like the "The Wreck of the Hesperus" if'n I'd dun it :rolleyes:.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rick's tomato trellises seemed to get quite a bit of interest back in the middle of winter.

I just came across another gardener's horizontal trellis and thought I'd put links to the pictures. Notice how she or he has those light tomato cages under the trellis partly, I suspect, to support the horizontal trellis.

Click 1

Click 2

digitS'

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Am I understanding this right? The tomato plants just grow up through the panels? Once they grow out the top and get taller, do they just flop over on the top panel? I think Rick needs to come over and show me how to do this!!!!! Any way you can send him to California? :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skeeter, maybe it is okay to think of those most recent links as showing something of a "tomato arbor." Those are Early Girls, the gardener tells us! The arbor allows them to grow straight thru the cages and out onto a horizontal surface, several feet above the ground.

Only a 2 year-old could walk under this arbor.

Rick's trellises are layered wire panels. Neither structure could be very wide because, you have to reach into the plants from the sides. Arms are only so long :p.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh man, now I am thinking about how the heck I am going to support my tomatoes. Like many others on here, the Florida weave looks great but doesn't pan out very well for me. They just get away from me too fast. If I let them sprawl, I get slugs. In the past, I have used the larger tomato cages and anchored them with a wooden stake driven down between the horizontals. That sorta worked. At least the wind didn't blow them away.