Ripoff ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please see commas between the items ! Sorry for not using "or" instead of a comma. And NO... I am NOT against anything labeled as organic . However, I don't see the organic items as the cure all answer for healthy living by everyone . Some here think that it is a choice to grow or buy organic. However, many people don't even have a choice to buy them or not. They simply can't afford the high prices that is being asked because they do not have the funds to purchase the " organic" label. They may not have any property or even the knowledge either to grow their own much less any available funds to do so. Making the "organic " label a elitist consumption item. At the same time I don't see use of commercial pesticides or herbicides when one follows the written label direction to control numerous insect pests or weeds that otherwise owerwhelm the gardener or farmer as the end all evil. Commercial growers have to get a licence to spray chemicals on their crops while the "organic" folks do not. Many "organic " ones are proven to be just as toxic and / or more so than the commercial ones, but the "organic " folks simply ignore that.

Bob, I would like you to find one of my posts, just one, where I "bashed" corporations or businesses, conventional large scale agriculture or small organic farmers. I think I'm pretty open minded on a lot of subjects, and do enjoy getting educated. I know just enough to know how much I don't know.

This thread has gone several directions, but it began with a question about getting ripped off because something (eggs) were labeled "organic".
I'll say it one more time, if you had no other choices as a consumer, and you were forced to pay multiple times what a product was worth or what a fair profit would be for the producer, then yes, you could say that was a rip off. But the FACT remains, that we aren't forced to buy expensive foods whatever the label is unless we make that CHOICE.

I get it Bob, you abhor all things labeled "organic".

I think I've been respectful in this discussion, if I haven't please show me where I was offensive and I will apologize.

I feel sympathy for what you and your family endured when you were a child. I'm glad you're here.
But I don't see how that tough experience relates to the discussion.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Please see commas between the items ! Sorry for not using "or" instead of a comma. And NO... I am NOT against anything labeled as organic . However, I don't see the organic items as the cure all answer for healthy living by everyone . Some here think that it is a choice to grow or buy organic. However, many people don't even have a choice to buy them or not. They simply can't afford the high prices that is being asked because they do not have the funds to purchase the " organic" label. They may not have any property or even the knowledge either to grow their own much less any available funds to do so. Making the "organic " label a elitist consumption item. At the same time I don't see use of commercial pesticides or herbicides when one follows the written label direction to control numerous insect pests or weeds that otherwise owerwhelm the gardener or farmer as the end all evil. Commercial growers have to get a licence to spray chemicals on their crops while the "organic" folks do not. Many "organic " ones are proven to be just as toxic and / or more so than the commercial ones, but the "organic " folks simply ignore that.

Source for the bolded sentence? (I could ask for more than that but will leave it at one sentence at least for now.) Preferably peer-reviewed and unbiased. And by unbiased I mean research that is (1.) not carried out by Monsanto and other chemical companies that work in the general area of agriculture - and (2.) research not carried out by advocates of the organic movement or people that have ties to this movement.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For my part.

Checked with some farmers today. Depridation permits CAN allow you to take deer out of season. Just very rare and has to be excessive. But I was incorrect.

Organic corn is imported from India-local organic poultry operation-no known test to prove it is. He thinks it is joke but qualifies. Organic side is growing in areas with high incomes for them.

They are going non-GMO to tune of 3-6 million bushels of corn.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I AM close minded about using a lot of medicines and chemicals in my food production. There...I said it. :D If I were not, I couldn't very well take a stand on it and implement a different method of raising food. If I were open minded about it, then I'd waffle back and forth about my chosen method and wouldn't have a chosen method at all, but just a loose, general raising of food that is or is not healthier than what one could buy in the store, according to whatever chemical I had or had not used on it. At that point, what's the use of working hard to grow your own?

I don't go out of my way to avoid GMO and such, as it's here and it's costly to try and avoid that in the animal feeds, so I don't bother. I don't see the point in spending scads of money to eat organic, non-GMO if the rest of one's life doesn't reflect that and if I also don't use any skin products, hair products, or any other thing that could introduce unwanted chemicals or such in my body. I'm just not that vigilant about every little thing...there are things I can control and things I cannot, nor try to do so.

That's like gagging on a gnat and swallowing a mule. So, one does the best they can to grow better, more healthy food at home and then leave the rest to God.

I understand now about the cost involved in selling at some farmer's markets and, if the local cost of living supports that price, then that's all well and good.

Around here folks would laugh at it and walk away, but that's here and not there. I've actually been at a farmer's market and seen small, dirty looking eggs for sale for $5 per dozen and not one person was buying them...just looking at them, looking at the vendor, shaking their heads and walking away. And rightly so, as this region just won't support those prices...not for something as simple as eggs.

I see Bob's point, because I do think at times the price is run up on things labeled as organic or free range or all natural, more than is really needed to turn a profit, but I agree with Thistle that a person can walk away no matter if the item is over priced for the region. If they don't like the prices they can just grow their own and call it a day...which I do.

But...yeah...when it comes to overuse of meds, of high use of chemicals before trying another way, I'm four square against it and have closed my mind to using those methods. Talk about it all ya want but don't make me try to buy it...that dog won't hunt.

Last edited:

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Farmer's market rules do vary. Around here, the insurance is required. In Alaska, there are no such rules. (I only chose Alaska because I know people involved in farmers markets there).

There is a doctor in this area who sees lots of low income people and wants to encourage healthy eating. He hands out vouchers to these patients to be used for fresh produce. I like his proactive approach.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
In this state they are issuing WIC vouchers for fresh fruits and vegetables...don't know if farmer's markets participate in such things, though.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do the same rules farmers markets have apply to flea market sellers? A lot of flea markets here have people selling garden produce, honey, eggs and home made jelly. Do they need to carry insurance?
Around here the food sellers must have a license. I think that may be just for cooked food.