Runner Ducks

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy just asked in another post if my runner ducks ever got friendly and sadly, the answer in no. Even as I post this, the insane idiots are on the deck, pecking and nibbling the plate glass patio doors, quacking softly and peering in at us. They just learned how to get on the deck a couple of days ago and they are proud of their new trick.

There is a bathtub at the end of the deck for the dogs to play in and it has been driving the ducks nuts. They waddle up to the tub, their heads disappear and we hear them talking about it. Then, periscope up, duck heads pop over the edge of the tub and they eye all that water! Heads pop up, then periscope down, they disappear. Up, down, up, down, up down, they are hilarious. It didn't help that the hens poked their heads through the hole at the front of the tub to get a drink. The ducks watched carefully, quacked about it a lot, but no way they were sticking their heads in that little hole! They are entertaining.

So when they finally figured out how to get on the deck, they went to the tub and got a drink. They were so excited! They drank like camels after a long Sahara trek. One fell in. She was shocked! The other 2 were puzzled and we could see they were trying to figure out how the other one did that. The one splashed and played in the tub, then hopped out. They have enjoyed the bathtub!

They are 5 months old now, can't wait for eggs!

Ducks in tub.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, you have some handsome young ducks there and they look so pleased with themselves in the water. Inquiring minds want to know, how do you keep the water so clean?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We only let the chickens/ducks out in the late afternoon or else the hens would scratch up every blade of grass we have. The ducks have only just figured out how to get in the tub in the last couple of days. They haven't spent a lot of time in the tub, they get a drink, hop in, get back out and come see what we are doing, run around the yard, they are busy, busy, busy! I don't look for the water to stay clear..... Dump it out every few days anyway....

Miss Lydia

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Aww baymule I didn't know you had ducks and one of my favorite breeds and colors too. They are adorable. One day if I never have Muscovy's I hope to have fawn and white Runners. :love

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So cool! They sound like they are entertaining! I would like to have runner ducks - still need to talk hubby into it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The runners are absolutely insane. They don't stand straight up though, they are hatchery quality, but still entertaining. @Miss Lydia do you have Muscovies? That's what I want! I want the white ones so the pinfeathers don't show so bad. @Jeni Ann you would enjoy ducks. The runners quack, but they are quiet about it. The Pekins I had were LOUD and ANNOYING! They went to freezer camp, have one defrosting in the refrigerator now for tomorrow night's supper. They are delicious, but did I mention LOUD and ANNOYING? And did I add that they never SLEEP? And QUACK even at NIGHT? :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well......in my runner trio of females, I do believe one is a drake. :( I only wanted ducks, I don't really want to breed these, especially since I am disappointed in their quality. They have been playing in the bath tub and I just saw one top the other and do the deed. Phooey. He very well might end up on a plate. :drool

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Freezer Camp" :lol: A friend of my son's had ducks as a 4H project. When they were raised and butchered he wrote their names on the package as it went into the freezer. So they knew "who they were eating", he said. Sick child.
:yuckyuck