Secret Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since we moved to our new home, our grand daughter asked for a secret garden. We started on it last weekend with 3 cow panels. Two of them run parallel, 5 feet apart and are home to 5 red raspberry and 5 gold raspberry plants. (Thanks @Nyboy ) The third panel is bowed into an arch entry way. This will be a work in progress for some time. I have zinnias started inside to transplant and we're going to plant a big ring of sunflowers. That will help determine the border line for the secret garden. And she's going to have a sandbox and a bench. Should I plant a flowering vine on the arch or a fruit bearing vine? I love jasmine, but the bloom time is so short, thought about red trumpet vine, it blooms longer. Also considering a grape vine. Any other ideas?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh what fun @baymule :) We wanted to do the sunflower room but the boys did not seem interested. We planted scarlet runner beans on one side of the arched panel and the LONG beans on the other. Made picking beans easy and provided a nice cool tunnel to sit under. I have a Black Eyed Susan vine on a trellis in poor soil in the back yard. It gets VERY dense and blooms all summer. Have Fun. ;)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh what fun @baymule :) We wanted to do the sunflower room but the boys did not seem interested. We planted scarlet runner beans on one side of the arched panel and the LONG beans on the other. Made picking beans easy and provided a nice cool tunnel to sit under. I have a Black Eyed Susan vine on a trellis in poor soil in the back yard. It gets VERY dense and blooms all summer. Have Fun. ;)
So is poor soil the secret to a lush black eyed Susan vine? They should grow well around my yard!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would try a passion fruit vine, fantastic looking flowers, with the addition of fruit. ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A black eyed Susan vine? Does it die back in winter and come back from the roots? Nyboy trumpet vines grow wild here, they grow up a tree and go up in the canopy. Passion flower vines grow wild too. Now where are those darn things when I want one?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a fun grammy you are Bay! I thought Blackeyed Susan vines were annuals...thunbergia something or other? I know they're annuals here anyway, but I love them. I'm not too good at growing them tho'.

Nobody has mentioned honeysuckle, is that a nightmare in Texas?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have honeysuckle growing wild on place, hope when I get my sheep, they eat it. LOL Wisteria is beautiful, smells heavenly and is an invasive monster. So scratch that too. Don't think I want climbing rose either, because of thorns and grands. Not a good mix. Hmmm..
y'all keep the ideas coming!

Latest posts