Secret Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay then, I think you need a clematis to grow on that trellis! How about a Duchess of Albany which is a texensis clematis.
I have that one and it's a vigorous climber and a prolific bloomer.
does it die back to the roots in winter? Do the vines live through winter and sprout new leaves and flowers?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
does it die back to the roots in winter? Do the vines live through winter and sprout new leaves and flowers?

Mine dies back in winter and I cut it back. It blooms on new wood.
I can't tell you what it will do on the Planet Texas. :D

But it is a hybrid of a native Texan, so it should perform nicely for you.
Were you wanting something that will be evergreen? There are evergreen clematis, but I don't know a lot about them, because they don't grow up here.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Caveat, @baymule. There are three 'types' of clematis. Type is based upon blooming time, but refers to when a clematis needs to be pruned for blooming. You will need to know your clematis type.

Prune at the following times;
  • Pruning Group 1: Prune mid- to late spring, after flowering and once the risk of frost has passed
  • Pruning Group 2: Prune in February and after the first flush of flowers in early summer
  • Pruning Group 3: Prune in February
You will find more info on growing clematis at the Royal Horticultural Society site.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since we moved to our new home, our grand daughter asked for a secret garden. We started on it last weekend with 3 cow panels. Two of them run parallel, 5 feet apart and are home to 5 red raspberry and 5 gold raspberry plants. (Thanks @Nyboy ) The third panel is bowed into an arch entry way. This will be a work in progress for some time. I have zinnias started inside to transplant and we're going to plant a big ring of sunflowers. That will help determine the border line for the secret garden. And she's going to have a sandbox and a bench. Should I plant a flowering vine on the arch or a fruit bearing vine? I love jasmine, but the bloom time is so short, thought about red trumpet vine, it blooms longer. Also considering a grape vine. Any other ideas?
You must grow pumpkins for any little one. Pumpkins were the first plant that began my sense of wonder with gardening.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have honeysuckle growing wild on place, hope when I get my sheep, they eat it. LOL Wisteria is beautiful, smells heavenly and is an invasive monster. So scratch that too. Don't think I want climbing rose either, because of thorns and grands. Not a good mix. Hmmm..
y'all keep the ideas coming!

There are many thorn-less varieties of climbing rose.

Latest posts