Should my garlic be up?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Darn! I haven't removed the straw, yet- first job on the list this weekend... but I can see the garlic is at least 6 inches tall. Try again in the fall- it is really super easy to grow. I will be happy to send you a few of mine to plant. Your winter lasted a lot longer than mine, so maybe it is too early to give up hope?
I'll see what's happening tomorrow, but that would be awesome Lesa!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well it's not too late if you can find some garlic stock. It is best to plant garlic in the fall but you can still plant in the spring. Obviously this is the plan you wanted to go with but sometimes we do what we have to. Sorry about your garlic. I posted in another thread I am having trouble with certain types of garlic. Just no luck.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I've been out there scanning the bed every day looking for something to poke it;s little head up, but so far, nothing.
This is my first time growing garlic. The soil in that bed was about 47 degrees...

It's just store bought from the produce section so I have no idea what kind it is.

I was kind of anticipating great things here.
My garlic is green all winter in zone 6.

leolady

Sprout
Reaction score
I have planted garlic at any time of year I wanted except winter, and always gotten good results. Maybe they have done so well for me is because I have always heavily mulched them.

They did not always look like they were going to survive in the first year, [some of mine looked deader than doornails] but by the next spring you can tell they are happy and healthy.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garlic was green all winter in my zone 5.
thistlebloom said:
I've been out there scanning the bed every day looking for something to poke it;s little head up, but so far, nothing.
This is my first time growing garlic. The soil in that bed was about 47 degrees...

It's just store bought from the produce section so I have no idea what kind it is.

I was kind of anticipating great things here.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Also, try to know what sort of garlic you're growing.. I wouldn't bother growing our grocery store garlic as 99% of it is elephant garlic near us.. I ordered some Spanish red hard neck garlic last year (took >6 months to get since I ordered out of season).. However, it's growing great -- I just moved more out in the garden that were being raised hydroponically but I think will be happier in soil. I'm hoping we can grow it pretty much year-round in our area.. Anyway, just my $0.02 worth..

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I planted onions in my garlic bed that I had given up on. I tilled the bed shortly after I posted this question because apparently there was no garlic action going on there.

So guess what? As I'm crawling along this afternoon, sticking onions in the ground I noticed these thick oniony looking stems coming up.

My garlic DID survive! Of course the tilling did it no favors, but the ones that survived it now have a lot of onion buddies to grow up with.

So I'm happy.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow that was some slow response from the garlic!! Mine's a foot tall already! At least you got some!!

That reminds me, the bee balm you sent my way is doing great. I dunno about the jerusalem artichokes...i unwisely plunked them down in the lawn by our driveway, and thought i would see some shoots or something by now. Since i've never grown it i dunno what i'm looking for, but i thought something sunflower-ish??

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
I dunno about the jerusalem artichokes...i unwisely plunked them down in the lawn by our driveway, and thought i would see some shoots or something by now. Since i've never grown it i dunno what i'm looking for, but i thought something sunflower-ish??
This is what mine look like a week after planting them, hope it helps.
8829_sam_1130.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Wow that was some slow response from the garlic!! Mine's a foot tall already! At least you got some!!

That reminds me, the bee balm you sent my way is doing great. I dunno about the jerusalem artichokes...i unwisely plunked them down in the lawn by our driveway, and thought i would see some shoots or something by now. Since i've never grown it i dunno what i'm looking for, but i thought something sunflower-ish??
Yeah, like TMC's picture Heather. Mine is just barely peeking out of the ground now, so hopefully yours isn't far behind.
By the way, the iris you sent are growing well, but I don't see the beebalm. My naughty chickens were making a mine field in that bed so I hope they didn't destroy it.

dang! I hope those JA's make it! I'll feel personally responsible....