Southern Food For 1st Time

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the only way to eat okra is deep fried, other than that cajun cooking..... need to get you down here to the lexington bbq festival....

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have learned many things while living in the South. (It IS part of the United States..right?)

I have learned how to cook okra, so that is isn't slimy. I have learned to love seafood gumbo, jambalaya and Zydeco.
I have learned that if I want iced tea, I must tell them..."Un-sweet tea Please".
I have learned how to "Speak Southern" , when I lived down in Biloxi/Gulfport for a long time.
I have learned how to buy fresh seafood and cook it, and eat it... :drool
I have learned how to cook red beans and rice...properly.

And a buncha other stuff :lol:

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
major-have you not ever had Stewed Okra? omg it is good :drool

Fresh okra from the garden, an onion-diced, fresh juicy red ripe tomatoes-from the garden. Fry up a pound of Jimmy Dean sausage, the onion, then pile on the okra and tomatoes, salt and pepper and some red pepper flakes. Simmer till cooked, about 1/2 hour. I top my bowl with home made croutons :drool

Nom

edited to add; The tomatoes provide the acid to cut the slimey from the okra.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
major-have you not ever had Stewed Okra? omg it is good :drool

Fresh okra from the garden, an onion-diced, fresh juicy red ripe tomatoes-from the garden. Fry up a pound of Jimmy Dean sausage, the onion, then pile on the okra and tomatoes, salt and pepper and some red pepper flakes. Simmer till cooked, about 1/2 hour. I top my bowl with home made croutons :drool

Nom

edited to add; The tomatoes provide the acid to cut the slimey from the okra.

run away with me...... :D we can travel to all across the states and serve up delicious meals to all our friends and learn many on the way..

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
run away with me...... :D we can travel to all across the states and serve up delicious meals to all our friends and learn many on the way..

:lol: I just read to my husband what you posted... he is :lol:

Oh..he refuses to eat any of my stewed okra :hit He hails from WV/OH. I have to cook different foods for him. :confused:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
will admit there are some southern foods that i have tried and will not ever touch again. liver sausage,chittens, pickled pigs feet, pickled eggs,red hot dogs.
I'm not from the South -- unless South Wisconsin counts -- but I believe it's chit'lins you didn't find tasty.

I can remember my father and uncle splitting a jar of pickled pigs feet when I was a kid
My DH used to love pickled pigs feet. I'd get him a jar for a special treat every so often.

I love fried liver. I'm not sure liver mush would make it for me, but then I was surprised to find I rather like the liver soup (eat, but don't look) my BFF1 makes every year as part of her Czech Christmas tradition.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some foods regardless of geographies, require a while to adjust to.

Okra, sweet potatoes, muscadine grapes, black eyed peas, catfish, chitlins, molasses, country cured ham; all great. Not a fan of boiled peanuts but fry them in butter and salt--OH YEAH!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So what do people up north eat? :idunno Are you telling me that Nawthurners don't have the joyful experience of munching down on MOON PIES?? :th

I don't eat the liver mush, but I do adore boudain and it is made with pig liver and rice. Boiled peanuts are gross. :sick

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to eat Moon Pies and we were Suthun California kids.
My dad loved pickled pigs feet and he was 4th gen Idaho on both sides, so it's not all that regionally restricted.

What's the deal with the title "Americans eat ___________ for the first time"?
The South is still in the U.S, as is the Midwest and a few other regions the different videos were about. Is that some kind of secret.....?

Latest posts