Speaking of bad manners...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
From all I've read now on them, seems a lot of people resort to all out war, trapping or shooting them. They say it doesn't even make a dent in their population though.

I've seen a couple of starlings around here, but haven't had much trouble with them otherwise. They're pretty, I think. I haven't had occasion to know what they do to annoy people though. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the only way to get away from the sparrows is to get away from people. That's the case the Smithsonian guy makes and we probably all know it is true.

The starlings might be tolerable in low numbers. I suspect that they have really damaged the Meadow Lark population here. Meadow Larks are cousins to the Starlings but shy birds. I bet that both birds have the same food interests. Unfortunately for the Meadow Lark, there is a horde of Starlings!

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey,

Bluebirds get special birdhouses with a small entrance hole. Somewhere is listed the exact diameter, but with the small entrance hole, only bluebirds are likely to enter it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some bluebird house plans show an added thickness of wood, with the entrance hole in it, added to the front of the house. Something about having to go through all that thickness of wood, an inch or so, that deters sparrows. Also, I don't think you are supposed to have a perch on it under the opening.

Our best results from killing off the sparrows comes from concentrating on the males, btw.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you have a weight sensitive feeder? It's usually designed to keep the squirrels & pigeons away. But given how your getting hoards of them it might be worth a try. I know the one my parents have you can adjust the setting on it. Was simple to adjust you just loosened pa wing nut on each end & adjusted the tipping point & retightened the wing nut. They liked this option since they could monitor the feeder & adjust it accordingly. So maybe a handful of smaller birds like blue birds or a single bigger bird like a jay, or woodpecker could eat but if you have 20+ sparrows on the feeder it would close so they can't eat. That might help coax them to move once they get deterred a few times.

Many places locally sell them the link was just there to give you an idea of what I was talking about. I think it might take a multiple strategy plan to deter them from coming around so much.

Keep us posted on the progress.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll have to look into that. Right now they are rocking the feeder so badly they spill out most of the seed, they fight so much. I've seen halos you can put on the boxes too...

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That was an unexpected bonus was a lot less wasted seed since it cut down the feeding frenzy that would ensue. Lot of seed went to squirrels since it was on the ground. Cleaned the area under the feeder up a lot & they were not wasting so much which saved $ too. I'd look into something like that. Check around he said it was a great investment.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, guys. I've been so bummed out. We really enjoyed the feeder birds and they helped me get through the dreary days of winter last year. Those sparrows are so spazzed out fighting, they'll stress you out just looking at them. :p

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Marshall sparrows are much smaller then bluebirds, so any entrance hole a bluebird can fit a sparrow can also.
The trick there is to have two bluebird houses near each other. The sparrow (or house wren) will migrate earlier and will get the house first, but two sparrows will be too territorial to nest that close. Once the bluebirds are back they can enjoy the second house. They are just as territorial, but against other bluebirds and get along just fine with sparrows nearby.

Latest posts