Speaking of bad manners...

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smart red! what a brilliant idea! that is EXACTLY what I'm going to do this spring. thanks for such a good idea

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, how about that? Beat 'em at their own game! ;)

ETA: By close together, do you mean like from one fence post to the next or is that too far?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Well, how about that? Beat 'em at their own game! ;)

ETA: By close together, do you mean like from one fence post to the next or is that too far?
From one post to the next is fine. Bluebirds will fight if they can see each other and their house.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found a new trick to keep the sparrows out of my seed feeder!

DD6 and I had hung some pine cones with peanut butter/seeds on them from string, about a foot out from either side of the feeder and hanging about as low as the bottom of the feeder. It's not a halo, but it still freaks them out. There is one brave male sparrow who will sit on the porch rail below and hop up to the feeder from under it, but all the rest are GONE. One sparrow by himself is very easy for the other birds to deal with.

I thought at first maybe they were just bothering my neighbor's feeder instead, but today the gusty winds knocked down one of the pine cones and they were BACK by the handfuls, all coming in on the side with no pine cone. It's a cheap and easy way to run them off, at least. :)

Latest posts