Squirrel trouble

Christina E.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a small vegetable plot with asparagus, tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers. We have lots of squirrels and they are a menace. They've been picking at and chewing on my cucumbers! They also destroyed every single apple on my apple tree. The squirrels just cut them down and discard them after a bite. Does anyone have any suggestions how to repel these pests from both the apple trees and the garden??

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know, but there are some pretty smart folks on this forum. I bet someone will have some ideas.
Do you have dogs or cats that are outside? I see your avatar is cats. Maybe they could earn their keep? Or are they strictly indoors?
Sometimes I suspect animals that don't usually bother fruit/veggies are looking for moisture. But I don't have proof of that. Is it particularly dry in your area now?

Christina E.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thanks @so lucky ! My cat is indoor/outdoor.
He definitely earn his keep, but he does not go after squirrels. He'll chase one here and there, but I have never actually seen him kill one-if he had, then we'd see less squirrels around here.

It has been a bit dry here, but there are plenty of water sources near by, like our bird bath and the cat's water bowl. I also think when my Bird feeder is empty, they go after the veggies.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Christina, welcome and I sympathize with you. Everyday I also find a partially eaten apple. I only have about 5 left. I don't know what to do either. I guess next year I will have to put netting around the tree. Fortunately, my tree is small. My tomatoes get eaten every year also. I'm starting to pick those before they are fully ripen to prevent this. There is a fountain where they can drink water so I don't know why they go after my stuff.

My daughter has a small dog that loves to chase squirrels. But we don't dare leave him outside after dark. There are raccoons here that have even attacked small dogs on leaches at the park.

Mary

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have my sympathy also, @Christina E.
I also will be starting to thin the herd, by 'permanent relocation' .;) Although they quickly multiply again!

The only way I keep them out of the apples is to throw a pan of sun flower seed out into the grass every morning. It keeps them busy foraging. I also pick my tomatoes orange and ripen on the counter. If the squirrels don't bother them, the 'coons eventually will, if they are ripe.
Bird netting over cucumber plants might work. Nothing has ever touched my mine, yet.:eek:

I wish you luck!

Christina E.

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. I may try the netting over the tree next year (its a small tree). Hopefully that will work..I just don't want to prevent any bees from pollinating, so will have to net after the flowers go? And my tomatoes are doing great. No problems with those. the squirrels and birds don't go near them I try to keep my bird feeder full. The house finches, purple and gold finches throw enough see on the ground to make the squirrels happy.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a goofy Silver Laced Wyandotte hen that chases squirrels. She takes it real personal. She chases them up a tree, stalks around menacingly, then loses intrest and wanders off.

Latest posts