Squirrel trouble

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good bird!!! Wish all mine did that! :gig This fall we will be going back to actively hunting the squirrels here. That hasn't been done for years and years now and the population shows it...thinning that population will provide more food for the survivors and maybe they won't need to rely so heavily on my apples.

And they will make for tasty eating, so it's a win/win! :drool

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi Christina, The girls paid for their air rifles with the bounty on squirrels. Like Nyboy said: Welcome!

A hot wire ring around the trunk will keep them out of the tree, this can be done with plastic stand off, wood stakes can be used so the stand off won't have to be attached to the tree. If small children will be in the area the rings can be higher on the trunk and the wire run overhead, stand off attached with drywall screws shouldn't harm the tree, but stakes taped to the tree and you won't have to use screws.
Your veggies can be protected with hot wires also with a little thought.

There is a product that uses the same blood thinners given to patients, that will cause the animal bleed out, if a small animal dies in this way and is eaten by a dog it won't be harmed because of the lower volume. We've used all three methods to good effect.

After having to deal with squirrels and their damage, I now see them as cute rodents, rats.

Have a real nice day.

Richard

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Richard, that is Warfarin. You are right, it causes rodents to bleed out from their stomach. There is probably an irritant mixed in with it, to scratch the stomach lining. I have heard (or read) that other animals that might eat it or the deceased rat would throw it back up, but rats and mice can't regurgitate, so they bleed to death. I hadn't thought that it would work on squirrels, but since they are rodents, maybe they have that inability to regurgitate as well.
Just about any of the rat poisons like "Just One Bite" has that ingredient.
Christina, it would sure be worth a try.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy her name is Dottie, she's a pet. She can live out her days here.

Warfarin is also used as a blood thinner in people for prevention of stroke, heart attack and clots. Guess we all have a little rat in us..... or squirrel. LOL

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm told, mix fly bait-golden stuff with pop, coon won't make 20'.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My plum tree was full of fruit last year...and I was waiting for the perfect moment. They beat me to it! I walked out to the tree and the ground was littered with plum skins! I am keeping a very close eye this year! So far, they have stayed away from my apple trees- and I have never had a problem with them in the veggie garden. I think I would try trapping them. Nothing worse than putting in all that work and having critters ruin it! Good luck and Welcome!