Start of 2015 Seedling Planting!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not knowing how and when things are grown in zone 9, I wouldn't know early from late. I do know it is so tempting to start things here in zone 6. But I am going to wait a while. Well, maybe I will plant a few peppers soon. It does take longer for them, right? Oh, and some cole crops. They can be put out early.
For me in zone 6 planting eggplant and peppers is good right now.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If I start my warm weather plants too soon, they end up just getting leggy. I'm still experimenting with the right "recipe" for my early starts. I saved the plastic from the "Congratulations" cake--DD just got hired as an Asst. SA here in our county (Traffic)!!!!!!!!--and I will be starting lettuce in it using it like a mini greenhouse. I'd like to start about 5-6 plants every weekend, starting with cold weather crops, like lettuce and peas through the end of March, then my tomatoes and peppers.
I soak my seeds overnight and sometimes for up to 3 days. The viable seeds sink, and the
"dead" seeds float.
I bit the bullet and bought a seed starting heat mat. Regarding a previous post, I was wondering if it wouldn't help to only run the heat mat during the day, for the same hours that you use lights? After all, when the sun goes down it cools off, so why not imitate that, too?
If I like my new heat mat, I'll look for some to go clearance in a few months.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's still at least another month before we even think about starting any seeds and then another month of procrastination to reskin our redneck greenhouse...

Last edited:

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rearranged a bunch of stuff and plants.
Will need to get new pics of the 3 lettuces growing in the kitchen later tonight.
abcd.jpg
abc.jpg
ab.jpg
a.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Noticed some new growth that I thought were going to be leaves...Woke up this morning to this flower!
:ep

What is it, 35 days or so until Spring?? Holy cow are my plants going to be 'early bloomers', lol.
I hope they will make it until I can start hardening them off and then plant them!! :fl

I did burn my first set of lettuce. :he Aquarium light was too close, soil a day late being watered! :th But I lowered them from the light and watered real well this AM, some are looking ok now.
Tomatoes are getting noticably taller by the day!
Peppers are being shy. I'm going to start more peppers indoors tomorrow. Last year, they all died because of bugs. And boy are they slow growing! Maybe they need a lot more heat??

I lost a Budgie last night...:hit I woke up to silence....Knew something had gone terribly wrong. Poor little Sir Clippy was gone.
I think it was the glue fumes from fixing plumbing in the kitchen/laundry room that got him, way out in the dining room. Other Budgie looks a bit off, but active and eating. Conures look fine. I'm paranoid I'll loose them now. Have the remaining Budgie up for free adoption, he's lonely w/o his friend. I feel awful for accidentally killing him... :(

But another ray of sunshine came in today. The guy who adopted my Doberman over a month ago, he sent me pictures of him doing wonderful. Seems like they are getting along very well! I'm glad, made me cry to see his pictures, but he can give him much more attention than I can, plus, there's no livestock for him to chew up. Glad I followed my gut and went with that man. :hugs

If anyone knows a local looking for a Bully, DH is looking to rehome her as well. Unless Cesar Millan shows up to make the Bully and our Mutt BBFs...As they say "females be crazy" o_O

Anyway!
Oh! Budgie is singing! Kirby is singing with him! :) Too bad they refuse to be friendly with the budgie!! :idunno Guess they don't like blue and white.

Sorry for the TMI.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kitchen lettuce looking cool.

Planted 3 different things and at 2-2.5 days they're sprouting!
Lost/misplaced my pepper seeds.
blett.jpg
lett.jpg

Latest posts