Summer project #2

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I few days ago I mentioned that I have been too busy around here to keep up with the weeding of the garden. I also mentioned that I would post some pictures. It has been too blasted hot and humid to work long hours after supper these days so I decided to take a few pix.

This old house has a gigantic cistern under one section of the first floor. I think mom and dad got county water about 10 or 15 years ago and we had been talking about using the two cistern rooms for a root cellar/wine cellar. I started the project a few weeks ago by measuring and laying out the outdoor retaining walls and steps. When I knew the size and location of the hole-in-the-ground I used a Bobcat track hoe to dig the hole.

This is my temporary roof over the hole. It was raining almost every day when I put the cover on . . .

Here is a peek under the covers from the east . . .

And here is a peek under the covers from the west . . .

This is a view of the bottom of the hole through the new door opening I made in the house foundation . . .

Looking up out of the hole to the west . . . (don't mess with the new toilet drain line!!!)
The new bathroom was project #1 this summer.

This is a view of the interior of room #1 looking out of the new door opening. As you can see I have done some of the electrical work to get a sump pump, outlets and lights down there . . .

This view is from room #2 into room #1. See my new light? . . .

Until the retaining walls and steps are poured this is the only way in and out of the cistern . . .

This is the access hole in our utility room floor . . .

What on earth am I going to do with all this dirt??? . . .

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like you are making good progress. I know what some of that entails as DH added a bedroom to the 1st floor of our 2 story home with basement under. He then needed to knock out some of the original foundation to add an outdoor entrance and stair well. Yours will be great when complete. Very handy to store those root crops. Good Work.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think there's a 10 pic limit per post isn't there? Maybe it had something to do with that.

Latest posts