Summer project #2

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles Jr I have friends with oil Wells and cell towers. Very well off, but to meet them you'd never know it.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's the latest on my cistern project (Summer project #2) . . .

Not much progress. I may have over did it earlier this week and I'm tired and achy today. I had a concrete contractor give me a bid on doing the retainer walls, steps and landing with a drain. $3,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have another guy coming to look tomorrow morning. Actually $3,000 is not too far from my guesstimate.

Summer project #1 . . . a new bathroom for PlayStation
Wednesday afternoon I received a call from a plumbing supply house that my shower door has arrived. So yesterday I went to Indianapolis to pick the door up. This door has been a big pain in the you-know-what. I ordered the thing in late March from a plumbing supply place in Cincinnati and was told that it would be ready in 4 to 6 weeks. At 5 weeks I called to check on progress only to discover that someone had dropped the ball and the door had not even been ordered. So, after a hassle, the door was re-ordered. 4 weeks later the door arrived and I asked the supply house to check it thoroughly before I made the trip to Cincinnati. Wrong door!!! Now it's June. Normally I would be livid but my bathroom project was not nearly ready for the door. I cancelled my order and started looking for a new supplier. I found one in Indianapolis, which is only 20 minutes further away than Cincinnati, who promised he could fill my custom order. After sending drawings, photos and dimensions via email to the manufacturer they said it would be another 5 to 6 weeks. The door is perfect and I spent the better part of yesterday installing the silly thing. The really bad part of all of this is that the door is nothing exotic or special. Just a triangular corner shower with no frills, bells nor whistles. But, halleluiah, project #1 is now 100% complete.

The large bucket looking thing is the sump pump basin which will be installed in the hole in the floor. The sump pump will be installed in the bottom of the basin and a cover placed on top. A pipe will run up the wall to the outside to carry water away. The little trench you see running from outside to the hole in the floor is for a drain pipe to be routed from the small catch basin (see the little black box with a white pipe connection?). The catch basin will be in the poured concrete "landing" at the bottom of the outdoor steps. A pipe will be installed from the catch basin to the pump basin to take care of the rain water collected in the stairwell.
Clear as mud?

This is "lake mistake". The hole outside where the steps will be installed. We got about 2.25" of rain yesterday and some leaked into the excavated stairwell. My tiny pump does a pretty good job.

Please stand by.

Attachments

• GEDC2165.JPG
    GEDC2165.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 264
  • GEDC2164.JPG
    GEDC2164.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 255

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the updates.
We need to do something with DH's bathroom. A shower door would be the least of our project IF we ever get it started.

You are going to be so pleased with your #2 project when it's done. I'd love to have that opportunity -- without the expense, of course.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's an update on project 1 and 2.

Project #1 (new bathroom) is 100% complete now. It's so nice to have another bathroom now.

Now I don't have to dance around on one foot when Momma is on the throne.

Oops! I just got an error message I must open a new topic to upload any more pictures. I guess I maxed out. More to come tomorrow for project #2 - gotta go to bed now - I have a very busy day tomorrow and it's gonna be hot, hot, hot out there. See ya tomorrow.

Attachments

• GEDC2060.JPG
    GEDC2060.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 230
  • GEDC2061.JPG
    GEDC2061.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 258
  • GEDC2167.JPG
    GEDC2167.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 243
  • GEDC2166.JPG
    GEDC2166.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 284
  • GEDC2166.JPG
    GEDC2166.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 164
  • GEDC2167.JPG
    GEDC2167.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 160
  • GEDC2055.JPG
    GEDC2055.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 156
  • GEDC2056.JPG
    GEDC2056.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 225
  • GEDC2150.JPG
    GEDC2150.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 143
  • GEDC2152.JPG
    GEDC2152.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 164
  • GEDC2148.JPG
    GEDC2148.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 133

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh gosh, if we ever start making repairs and improvements on this house, it will never end. Let's see:
New flooring throughout the house.
Cabinetry needs to be reworked in kitchen.
Laundry room has termite damage; needs walls torn out and replaced.
Deck supports need to be replaced. Actually the whole deck needs to be replaced.
Door to deck needs to be replaced.
Lawn needs to be dug up, leveled and replanted.
Driveway needs to be paved or concreted.
Gutters need replacing.
Windows need replacing, as they have lost their seal and are foggy.

This is all stuff that should have been done several years ago, but due to DH's depression/anxiety, he can't make the move to do anything, so the house is falling down around us. He can't tolerate change at all, so it's not something I can just hire people to do. :\ At least the roof doesn't leak. Yet.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very nice work! I know what you're going through. I just wish I wasn't doing the same thing in a mobile home. I can't wait to start on our new house!

Latest posts