Teenagers Making Money Shoveling Snow

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think if those boys were just putting flyers on doors that it should have been allowed. Over here everyone does it and it doesn't bother me. I don't feel like they are harassing me for their services. I think it's great that they are working to make extra money instead of stealing.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The neighbor's son's friend showed up at my front door, last night.

He said that M was just down the road and out of gas. I said, "What do you need - gas can? Money?" There is a gas station nearby. He shook his head about the gas can. I gave him a few dollars.

Then, I looked out the window towards M's mother's house. She was home.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i had a situation happen a month after my dh went back to work after his stroke. i was out of work but doing a lot of stuff around the house this day. guy walks up to my door begging for money to feed his 'family' and offering to mow the over-growing lawn. (our mower wasn't working at that time) he gave the sob story he needed $10 to buy something for the night & he would come back later to do the lawn. i asked him how he would mow the lawn if he didn't have a mower. said he would find a way. i gave him $5 but he didn't come back for about a week begging for more $$ which i didn't give him anything this time around. this time i called the cops on him but he was long gone when they bothered to show up.

few weeks go by and in the newspaper was an article that the cops the next town over had a small drug bust that ended up netting 4 and a child that was sleeping in the mobile home when everything was going down. one of the 4 was this guy that came by my house. :mad:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
M has asked me for $, now and then.

There was never the suggestion that he would pay me back. M doesn't own a car. The friend shows up every day when M is home but I've never even talked to him before.

This situation doesn't seem too great but I'm really talking about just a few dollars. Whatever the case, my relationship is with the mom, not her kid or his friends. I think I should have a conversation with her.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll call him Michael ... first said something to me about money, I realized later that I misunderstood him. He didn't seem to hang around very long for me to make too many suggestions on where he might find a job.

Then, it was for a few dollars here and there. Does the same for the neighbor across the road. More often, it's just to use the phone. How many kids in their late teens do you know who don't have a phone?

@Chickie'sMomaInNH , living near a hospital may mean you may have more perks than just with getting your power restored after a storm. You may want to talk with their security people. Just about anyone may show up at a hospital, and do.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, I don't know what I would do if my neighbor's kids came over and asked for money.
Now if you start refusing him, you may be wondering if he will retaliate.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be something I can say no to, at first.

Mom talks about him being an adult but he's not paying the property taxes. He doesn't have the full price for a pack of cigarettes and has to ask the neighbors for it.

I'll be pointing out how her relationship with neighbors is changing because of his and his friends' behavior. That's how neighbors are supposed to deal with kids, right?

Mr. Wilson

Latest posts