Tell Me All About Raspberries!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wasn't going to weigh in on this since I am far, FAR, from maintaining my berries well. They just kind of grow in spite of me.
But mine are all gold, and I don't know the particular variety because they were dug up from somebody elses garden and given to me. I used to have mostly red, but the berry patch has migrated around the yard on the end of my shovel several times
and I guess the red ones just got tired of it.

I like the flavor of the gold better, when compared to the red ones that used to grow with them. They were both really good, but the gold was a bit sweeter. Or something.

Oh yeah, and mine are thornless. Definitely go with thornless.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, you say that you have time on your hands and less at closing of your new house... make good use of it NOW by declutering ( throw away, donate, keep piles ) your present house way before that. It will save your sanity at closer to moving time. :old

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, you say that you have time on your hands and less at closing of your new house... make good use of it NOW by declutering ( throw away, donate, keep piles ) your present house way before that. It will save your sanity at closer to moving time. :old
Oh I have been! Going through closets, whittling down stuff....... moving to a smaller house from a bigger house... :tongue

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule, This is a long shot, and probably a difficult one (since it would mean starting from seed). But on the off chance that the Carolina Raspberry doesn't work out (you ARE in south Texas would could actually be beyond the range of even a heat tolerant raspberry) I should point out that Tradewinds Fruit sells seed for a species called Mysore Raspberry (Rubus niveus), which is actually fully subtropical/tropical raspberry species. If THAT can't take your conditions, then, in all likelihood, NO Raspberry can.
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/rubus-niveus-mysore-raspberry-seeds

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still don't have a date. :he This is a HUD foreclosure and only have 45 days to close......well we MIDDED THAT DEADLINE!!! :rantAnd had to file an extension plus pay $375 fee! :somad :tongue :barnie :th:smackNeedless to say, the stress level is high, frustration is shot to the moon and I want to shake these idiots until their teeth rattle. Next deadline.....Aug 25.....will we make it?? :fl

So to keep from going really nuts, I talk to my friends here on TEG about raspberries! and watering a big garden and ya'll keep my boggled brains from exploding! :lol:
Glad we can help. :) I also plan to do some praying on the matter. ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule, This is a long shot, and probably a difficult one (since it would mean starting from seed). But on the off chance that the Carolina Raspberry doesn't work out (you ARE in south Texas would could actually be beyond the range of even a heat tolerant raspberry) I should point out that Tradewinds Fruit sells seed for a species called Mysore Raspberry (Rubus niveus), which is actually fully subtropical/tropical raspberry species. If THAT can't take your conditions, then, in all likelihood, NO Raspberry can.
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/rubus-niveus-mysore-raspberry-seeds
That looks really good, especially the part about bearing in the winter. We are moving to northeast Texas-still hot, but not so close to the Gulf of Mexico anymore. It is still very close to the same temperatures as here, but not as humid.

@Carol Dee I'll take all the prayers I can get! I just want to get this done so we can start doing all that we need to do!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to be able to help.

Incidentally they also have seed for a blueberry from Costa Rica, which might solve THAT fruit problem of yours, http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/vaccinium-consanguineum-costa-rican-blueberry-seeds

They also USED to have seed for the native Hawaiian red blueberry, but they seem to have stopped carrying it (it was supposedly really hard to grow in any case, so probably no big loss)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, what will be your biggest town closest to you? I'm trying to figure out where you're moving too and Texas sure is big! :D

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner actually, there are blueberry varieties developed for our hot climate and there are quite a few blue berry farms around. They will make small trees about 20' tall if left unpruned. I go pick almost every year, but missed it this year. I have picked several of the varieties in the link below and they are very good. I'll be planting some of these!

https://www.willisorchards.com/category/blueberry-plants#.U-kuVbl0xjo

In a town a couple of counties over, they have a blueberry festival every summer.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, what will be your biggest town closest to you? I'm trying to figure out where you're moving too and Texas sure is big! :D

Mary
Closest biggest town is Tyler, renown for it's roses. Lots of agriculture around there, greenhouses and all kinds of "growies" :) We'll be ummmm..... maybe 20 miles from the city limit sign of Tyler.

Latest posts