The great Blue Heron

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We see herons in our ditches (some ditches are 12 feet deep) all of the time. One even took up residence in a pond by a WalMart parking lot. I understand that they WILL try to peck at your eyes, so don't get too close!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh I don't think I would worry about them trying to poke you in the eye! They are just over 3 feet tall. And pretty timid. They would fly off before you could get real close. But like any other animal you probably do not want to corner them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here they destroy ponds as they eat all the small fish along the edges that feed the larger fish.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gorgeous! We have one who hangs out at our pond. Drives DH crazy because the bird is eating "his" fish, but he has to put up with it, being married to a bird nerd and all!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, seedcorn!

I was about to say that I could never do that when I realized that I certainly could under the right conditions. Probably tastes a bit like chicken used to taste back in the good old days (or here on the farm).

The pond fish need more hiding spaces. Big ponds: downfalls, rocky outcrops, weedy areas and little ponds like mine: old pots tipped on their side. In nature, fish and fowl manage to get along together. Ponds need to be more natural.

Latest posts