The politics of food

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
They do that in Europe.
For some reason Americans resist any customs that come from Europe, no matter how much sense they make. At the same time we consider Asian farming methods to be wonderful. Go figure.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
seedcorn said:
Interesting article. Don't agree with some of his conclusions as he adds one and one and comes up with 3--teenage math.

I would love to see how many people he could get to turn their lawns into gardens and have a chicken house off of their kitchen. Not that it wouldn't be good, just not practical.

But it is interesting, some points are obviously true.
Actually I think quite a few people would jump at the chance to have a garden in front of the house and chickens in the back yard. Unfortunately most cities and towns have regulations forbidding it.
I have chickens in the back yard and a garden in the front yard!!!!!!!!!!! And I am not European!! I am Scotch-Mutt!! :weee :weee

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
seedcorn said:
Interesting article. Don't agree with some of his conclusions as he adds one and one and comes up with 3--teenage math.

I would love to see how many people he could get to turn their lawns into gardens and have a chicken house off of their kitchen. Not that it wouldn't be good, just not practical.

Actually I think quite a few people would jump at the chance to have a garden in front of the house and chickens in the back yard. Unfortunately most cities and towns have regulations forbidding it.
While some would, still think most people wouldn't for a lot of reasons. How many friends and family do we have that don't even garden?

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
hoodat said:
seedcorn said:

While some would, still think most people wouldn't for a lot of reasons. How many friends and family do we have that don't even garden?
Most of my friends think I am nuts that I have chickens for pets and have a large garden. However, I don't ever see them turn down a chance of eggs or fresh veggies when I offer them.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My Mexican neighbors also look forward to my fresh veggies and an occasional cleaned rabbit. In a sort of exchange they often show up at my door with a plate of fresh cooked Mexican food. YUM!!This leaves both parties happy.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
My Mexican neighbors also look forward to my fresh veggies and an occasional cleaned rabbit. In a sort of exchange they often show up at my door with a plate of fresh cooked Mexican food. YUM!!This leaves both parties happy.
Great neighbors to have. I take it they don't garden?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think most people just don't think about their food. Since I started gardening about a half dozen of my friends and family members have started their won gardens. It's like they see my garden and think, "Hey, I can do that too!" My sister in law even got chickens after hearing me talk about them. If more people were exposed to gardening (and animal husbandry, and cooking, and canning, ect...) then I think they would realize that it is possible. That's one of the reasons I blog, to show people what they can do for themselves.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find it interesting that people will go to great lengths to grow beautiful flowers but won't plant a pepper or tomato plant. A pepper plant filled with different colored peppers from green to red are as pretty as any flower.