Thinking spring

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The seeds are not started in those pots. They are started in coffee filters until germinated, transferred to grow cubes, which are then buried in the hydroton when there are four true leaves.
Jack B

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The calendula is blooming and what an amazing plant it is.

It can be used for a lot of purposes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula

I just can't bring myself to pull the petals off and eat them though. :/

Jack B

32813_zpsc6c88d3d.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, it sounds like you've never had calendulas before. Is that correct? Have you seen them before? I find it hard to believe no one has seen them before.:/

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow them every year and have for a number of years. I find it amazing that the plant is so useful. A regular pharmacy in a plant.
Jack B

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown calendula many times, Jack.

This is the first I've known that they had any medicinal value. I followed one of those Wikipedia links to a Sloan Kettering website and, wow! There really has been research on the therapeutic properties of calendulas.

I have known that I could put the leaves in a pot for a table green but they haven't had any appeal what with that sticky nature of them. The petals, I can imagine as a food coloring. Here is an idea: use the petals in an herb tea. You know how lightly colored some of them are . . . you and I should try just using calendula as a food (tea) color :cool:.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
How are Ava's Cantaloupes doing so far Jack?
Marshall,

They are in 3" pots right now and doing OK, not great, but OK. I bought a really heavy trellis netting at Tractor Supply yesterday and I plan on building a frame and placing it in her garden to support the plants. She is off to Florida and Disney on Thursday, and is talking about planting her cantaloupes soon, but we are at least a month away from a safe date to plant them. I am going to move them to larger pots in a day or so. It has been a very cool damp spring so far.

Jack B

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
They'll do best in a bright and very warm 82 degree or so spot.

Latest posts