Thoughts and Opinions...

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So, the husband has been making rootbeer for several years. Just enough for us. This last batch he tried something different so, we gave part of it away to friends for criticism. Now they are wanting to buy it. The problem is in order for him to break even he's going to have to charge $2 for a bottle. In my opinion that's crazy! So, we're talking $12 for a 6 pack and that's not including a bottle "deposit" so, he can get his bottles back because they are rather pricey.
What are your thoughts and opinions.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think that's an unreasonable price for a homemade product and many would expect to pay it...and more. One pays up to $1.50 for a bottle of the cheap, commercially made stuff at gas stations and such.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Option #1
It's not just his costs, it's time and effort, plus what happens if a batch goes bad? If you are willing to sell it for a price, determine what price you are satisfied with and charge it, whether that is $2 a bottle or $4. It's up to them to determine if it is worth it.

Option #2
Say no but occasionally gift them a bottle or two.

Option #3
Offer to teach them to make it, then have parties together comparing results.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF break even is $2, why would you even consider $2? $3/bottle would be the least I'd go. Otherwise, make it for yourselves, parties, gifts, etc. If it is 1liter or less size, it must be real expensive ingredients--but worth it if you enjoy it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy I think Fort Wayne is large city (and avoid it unless I need something there) so you can imagine how excited I am about visiting New York City.....

Thanks for offer but I'll pass.

Latest posts