Thoughts and Opinions...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy, that is so sweet!

....Hey! I have an idea! Why don't you go to Indiana and take Seed and his better half out to dinner?
And from there it's just a skip and a jump to Idaho, and ......

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Then after buying dinner for thistlebloom in Idaho, while you are tooling down from I da ho down I 5 on your way to ninnymary's ...Since you will be pretty hungry by this time, When you reach Vancouver, Wa. turn left at Rd. 79 a few miles to Kathy's Corner Kitchen ( open for dinners on Fri., Sat. and Sun.--- voted one of the best dinners in the area by foodies) you can buy us dinner for us too. :celebrate Or if you are so hungry that you can't travel the extra 10 miles, you can get off of I 5 past Ridgefield on CR 502 , then a couple miles turn L at the 4 way lights in the dent in the road of Dollar's Corner and on the L there is a country dinner ( just 6 miles from our house ) that seats about 20 people inside and the overflow on the side deck (wait in your car if and when it rains ) Some of the finest fill er up country food dinner around. You can buy us dinner there. :drool

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, the husband has been making rootbeer for several years. Just enough for us. This last batch he tried something different so, we gave part of it away to friends for criticism. Now they are wanting to buy it. The problem is in order for him to break even he's going to have to charge $2 for a bottle. In my opinion that's crazy! So, we're talking $12 for a 6 pack and that's not including a bottle "deposit" so, he can get his bottles back because they are rather pricey.
What are your thoughts and opinions.
Your friends will want it until they see the price tag.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curious, does your husband do the root beer the REAL old fashioned way (using actual sassafras bark and wintergreen leaves) or modern oils (nothing wrong with using those, I've had great root beers made that way. And are you getting the carbonation from CO2 cartridge/ carbonated water or adding yeast and letting fermentation do it (making a root beer that is mildly alcoholic)

That reminds me of a funny story. We made rootbeer once at camp, with oils (as the nature section the ORIGINAL plan was to do it the old fashioned way, but it turned out that ten or so ten year old kids do not have the strength to dig down to the roots of sassafras trees and hack the bark off. And it was a bad year for wintergreen there) to out surprise, we did do it with yeast (I actually asked the councilor, and he actually said "oh no, yeast doesn't make alcohol)

We got to taste the results about two weeks later. Like some people I pooled so as to have some spare bottles to take home with us. I found it probably some of the best rootbeer I had ever had. Only stinger was that at session end I went to get my bottle only to be informed that they had all exploded (since the teacher didn't know that yeast made alcohol, I imagine he also hadn't realized that he needed to heat the bottles when the root beer was done to kill the yeast off and stop fermentation)

Oh, and if you hubby ever decides to diversify a bit and do SPRUCE beer, let me know. I LOVE a good spruce beer (hopefully if he ever does, by the time it is ready, my weight will have dropped to the point where my blood sugar is steady enough to drink a spruce beer without worrying what it will do to me.)

Latest posts