To Rototil or Not?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
unless someone takes pity on me and comes by with a motorized tiller I turn my gardens by fork and spade until my back says whoa...I have started one of my plots where I get lots of help from my chickens ...as soon as they see that fork they come a running it's treat time... have read that you should not over till the soil with a roto-tiller as it will break down the structure of the soil...
Mom, let me know in the spring if you want me to swing by on a weekend to help you till a patch!

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
momofdrew said:
unless someone takes pity on me and comes by with a motorized tiller I turn my gardens by fork and spade until my back says whoa...I have started one of my plots where I get lots of help from my chickens ...as soon as they see that fork they come a running it's treat time... have read that you should not over till the soil with a roto-tiller as it will break down the structure of the soil...
Mom, let me know in the spring if you want me to swing by on a weekend to help you till a patch!
Oh look. I've done more good than expected by starting this topic. Getting folks helping one another is a good thing, right? :love

Marigold

Sprout
Reaction score
Looks like I'm the odd one here. I never till.

When we moved to this location, most of the soil where I wanted my garden was rock hard clay. I started in the fall with a load of composting manure, all the grass, leaves, straw, etc that I could get my hands on.

I did a lot of shallow planting that first year, potatoes planted in straw, etc. I mulch heavily w/ straw, coop litter gets dumped in there and the hens do fall cleanup and light tilling. Each year the soil gets better and better. I had one small area of clay that wasn't breaking down well after a couple of years, so I did break out the shovel to help it along.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have used a rotiller for 34 years on our 2-3 feet of topsoil garden. We till in leaves and manure. We use small tillers between the rows to keep down the weeds . A must in a large garden. Manure adds lots on nutrients and weed seed.

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We farmed so we have about 6 hand tillers of all sizes and 1 big tractor tiller.

They are a necessity I believe. NC red clay soil here. It took alot to change that to good soil.

while they are 'work' to use, they do a big service to the ground.

I always til.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickie2378 said:
while they are 'work' to use, they do a big service to the ground.
I just got my 'big tiller' this year, and every time I drag it out I laugh at the "Easy one-handed operation!" bit on the label. Ha!

I am still breaking up new ground, fighting bermuda grass and adding composted manure, and I really appreciate being able to break through the roots and mix it all up with the tiller.

-Wendy

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:lol: WS

I had our big one take me for a ride one time. Don't know why I didn't just let go...it dragged me along :p

AlienChick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We're new gardeners.

We didn't till last year because we didn't want a lot of weeds.

That was great!

However, this year hubby wants to till. We'll see how it goes. :rolleyes:

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Last year, we had someone with a tractor and wide PTO tiller break up the new spot (100x25/30ft). We have lots of invasive bermuda grass that just loved it. I plan on rotating in lots of smother green manure crops and tilling them in repeatedly.

I find lots of rocks this way. At least this time I remembered to have the phone line marked out first.

This season's planned expansion? Set some 6x6 tall posts to mark the front yard property line corners, and till that all over as much as I can. Lots of shallow utilities and big rocks and who knows what. It's all heavy compacted clay subsoil that barely supports weeds. I'd love to fence it, but that's a huge project.

I'd prefer to double-dig new beds, given the surprise items and terrible compacted clay. My back won't stand it, and I don't know if I could pay someone to do it "my" way. As I double-dig, I carefully shake out every last scrap of bermuda grass root I find. Terribly tedious, but effective.

Latest posts