Tomato List

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Um yeah, so I'm with Steve....

I'm growing 17 different varieties this year. I have not yet found my "tried and true" tomato that I can't live without. And I like having little garden experiments to compare varieties and such. Since I start my own it really isn't all that expensive for me to have this many varieties, and I have the room for them all- oh and I can hundreds of quarts and pints of tomato products so as long as they produce something...I don't really care. Here's the list this year-

Oregon Spring
Bush Early Girl
Bush Beefsteak
Italian Tomato Tree
Giant Beefsteak
Golden Jubilee
Northern Exposure
Brandy Boy
Orange Wellington
Red Zebra
Martinos Roma
Black Sea Man
Old German
Sugar Lump
Heirloom Cherry Blend
Ultimate Opener
San Marzano

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
The community of Kimberley is just a few miles over the Canadian border. I intend to cross it with some others ...
Hmm. So will you be going through the border gates, or is this a more surreptitious visit?

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Thessaloniki means something like "the city of the Thessalonians."

It is "a good bet for a basic, normal, red tomato."

At least, for my garden :).

Steve, OTV (off the vine)
Same for me.. I had realy good production and it makes a really nice canning tomato. I only grew it a few years, last in 2010.

I see Earl Of Edgecomb is on your list. That is another one that I have grown, and that is pretty good.

Ginny

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Tell me about thessonolica tomato
If you would like to try it, I have some saved seeds of Thessaloniki I bagged from my 2010 garden..I can send you a few to try. It is a good canning tomato. Mine were red, baseball size. With a good mild/acidic flavor. Very good production in my 2010 garden.

Shoot me a PM if interested

Ginny

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
digitS' said:
The community of Kimberley is just a few miles over the Canadian border. I intend to cross it with some others ...
Hmm. So will you be going through the border gates, or is this a more surreptitious visit?
Ha! ;) I'm sending RidgeRunner in for reconnaissance and to blaze a trail . . .

After doing this heirloom tomato thing for 10 years or so, I've got some seeds that won't be planted this year . . . pains me to say that :p. This hobby keeps me outta trouble. And, like HPQ, I've got use for a lot of tomatoes. I was getting a little bored growing 1 beefsteak and 1 cherry for about 30 years . . .

Keep track of that Golden Jubilee, HPQ!

Ginny, I was real happy with Earl Of Edgecomb - when it ripened. Unfortunately, it was at the last of good, warm growing season. I'm not sure if I can count on it. Doggoneit. It did well in 2012!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Gosh, I bought 2 packages this year, one of Roma seeds, and one of Cushion Crimson. I started organizing (with a notebook) and checked out my saved seeds and discovered:
2009 Cushion Crimson seeds
2010 Cherry Tomato seeds
2012 Black Krim seeds
2009 & 2012 Rutgers seeds
I already started Romas from saved seeds, and I'm going to start the rest (inside first) this season, but maybe not all. I understand that this year's seeds have ~ 75-80% germination rates, but older seeds have ~50% germination rates. We all put about 3-4 seeds in every starting cell anyway, I figure I don't need to feed my "seed package buying habit." :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering yesterday how many gardeners would be upset with some of my sowing and transplanting habits.

First of all, when you see the cookie boxes of tomatoes, you will see that I've got several varieties in those containers. Sometimes, I'm scraping seed off a paper towel as I'm sowing! It will jump! If a seed is where I can't be sure what it is - it gets tossed . . . I do the same thing when potting up to 4-packs. If a seedling is somewhere that makes me question its ID, it is compost . . .

:/

Steve
confession is good for the soul

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are moving soon, so I will cutting wayyyy back on my tomatoe list this year. I normally grow up to 80+ varieties each year. But it is also getting harder to do.. So I am growing some new to me varieties and some returnees I loved..

1. Couilles De Taureu (return)
2. Purple Dog Creek (return)
3. Pantano Romanesco (return)
4. Sungold F1 (return , grandson favorite)
5. Fish Lake Oxheart (return)
6.Costoluto Genovese (return)
7.Russo Sicilian Togeta (return failed to thrive in garden , bad year for outdoor tomatoes)
8. Nile River Egyptian (return, failed to fruit last year)
9. Maya & Sions Air Drie Classic

New to me:

10. Dester
11. Pink Honey
12. George O' Brian
13. Yellow Gooseberry
14. Tadesse (I am growing the real variety, the one I grew before was not the original)
15. Rajce Tisk Hroznove..I was told this might be renamed soon
16. Mala Bishka
17. Drago evo

I origanally planned to only plant 10 varieties, but you know how that goes...lol..But still, I cut way back!

Ginny

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have one of those Airdrie, Alberta tomatoes, Ginny.

And, you've got a whole bunch of Eastern European types! Seems to make sense for those of us up here so far north.

The growing season climate here is defined by some as Continental Mediterranean. It is similar to the mountains of northern Spain or a small part of the mountains in Italy. I have this idea that I can grow Mediterranean varieties if . . . IF they are early. The problem with that kind of thinking seems to be that there are very few early varieties from that part of the world! If you can think of any, I'd sure appreciate knowing them :).

Steve
who grows both Thessaloniki & Rainy's Maltese with some success

Latest posts