Tomato List

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have complained that a gardener with Cherokee ancestors should grow Cherokee Purple but I don't want to be disappointed by them not ripening. However - the Gary O Sena is a Cherokee Purple X Brandywine cross. Now, I'm beginning to see more Cherokee crosses and even some dwarfs! Those should be earlier varieties.

Gardening with Rabbits, the flavor of Sweet Baby Girl tomatoes is really good. It I was growing patio tomatoes, they would be a 1st choice.

I'll have some tomatoes in containers this year but only so that I can keep them here at home where there is some chance that my hybridizing can take place at the right time and with limited haste. All the ones that I will be working with are somewhat smaller plants.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Gardening with Rabbits, the flavor of Sweet Baby Girl tomatoes is really good. It I was growing patio tomatoes, they would be a 1st choice.
I am not going to grow in containers. I read, "Sweet Baby Girl's vines just reach about 3 to 5 feet high and 2 feet wide, yet yield like nobody's business." "Set plants 2 feet apart." This is from Park Seed. What do you mean patio tomatoes? They sound really wonderful. Also from Park Seed, "Just how much fruit can you expect from each plant? Well, in our gardens they each offered up TWO POUNDS OR MORE PER WEEK at the height of the season."

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve and Jared, send me a pm with your addy's and I will send a few seeds out of Pantano Romanesco. I have been growing it for over 10 years and totally love it!!

Ginny

ATTENTION STEVE: YOUR INBOX IS FULL...TRIED TO SEND ANOTHER MESSAGE!! LOL

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
On January 1 I started:

Paul Robeson
Costoluto Genovese
Homestead
SunGold
Green Zebra

But then the contractor I'd hired in November decided to finally start painting my house and re-working the back porch. So my seedlings sprouted outside, and promptly went inside to languish in the dark. They're still only an inch tall. :(

So I bit the bullet and found a place that sells heirloom variety transplants. And I just ordered:

2 Paul Robeson
2 Marianna's Peace
2 Green Zebra
1 Dagma's Perfection
1 Isis Candy

Which I will set out as soon as they arrive, sometime in the next couple weeks.

Steve, have you ever grown Dagma's Perfection before? I'd never heard of it, but the place I ordered it from seemed to think it would do very well in extreme heat.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've deleted some inbox messages!

Gardening', the Sweet Baby Girl plants were only a little larger in my garden than they were in the large pots I had them in. The little plants were soon overwhelmed by their neighbors. Three feet, yeah - they certainly weren't 5' plants. I decided that my tomato patch wasn't the best place for them because of their small size. They produced well in the pots but I'm sure they could have done better in open ground without competition.

If you look on those pages I linked to on the 1st post, Joz, you will find Dagma's in my basket! I like 'em! Heat? What they don't do is set fruit in cold weather. The 1st time I grew Dagma's, I thought I'd get only 1 or 2 fruits off each plant! Then, they set fruit which grew rapidly and ripened quickly. I've had tons of those tomatoes off a few plants! One thing they do, Joz, they don't keep. They will be over-ripe in a few days.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel like a newby.........Friends kid me because I plant 40-50 for the 2 of us. I only use

Big Boys
Better Boys--my most consistent variety
roma type--depends upon what local nursery is selling
and then something I haven't before.

Last year I tried 6 different heirloom. Unimpressed with all of them. Only one I remember was Black Krinn?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Gardening', the Sweet Baby Girl plants were only a little larger in my garden than they were in the large pots I had them in. The little plants were soon overwhelmed by their neighbors. Three feet, yeah - they certainly weren't 5' plants. I decided that my tomato patch wasn't the best place for them because of their small size. They produced well in the pots but I'm sure they could have done better in open ground without competition.
I will plant them away from the other tomatoes then. I did not realize they were so short and bought Legend today and they are only 3 ft. tall. I don't think I ever heard of such. lol Oh well, but bought Sun Gold and Red Siberian. I will start these in the next couple of days.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good grief Steve! How many of each? I don't personally care for fresh tomatoes...yes I know it's a sin...so I only grow a few varieties for canning, salsa and sauce; plus a few slicers for the DW.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I had over 4 of each of the heirlooms.

Sometimes, I've set out only 1 and I seem to lose them when I do that. There will be more of the hybrids but not really with the cherries. Picking all the ripe fruit on a dozen cherry tomato plants is more than enuf work!

I don't grow the plants just for myself but I don't find that it is very wise to have plants that I wouldn't want in my own garden. What are you going to say? "You might like these. I don't."

Most folks don't know heirlooms but they can fall in love with a variety. I understand that. They start out as only seeds and I can share.

I have a friend who grows about that number of just Better Boys each year, Seedcorn. Oh, she may have a couple of cherries but she's a workaholic not a martyr.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I'm not sure if I had over 4 of each of the heirlooms.

Sometimes, I've set out only 1 and I seem to lose them when I do that. There will be more of the hybrids but not really with the cherries. Picking all the ripe fruit on a dozen cherry tomato plants is more than enuf work!

I don't grow the plants just for myself but I don't find that it is very wise to have plants that I wouldn't want in my own garden. What are you going to say? "You might like these. I don't."

Most folks don't know heirlooms but they can fall in love with a variety. I understand that. They start out as only seeds and I can share.

I have a friend who grows about that number of just Better Boys each year, Seedcorn. Oh, she may have a couple of cherries but she's a workaholic not a martyr.

Steve
What does she do with that many? 12 better boys gives me more than enough to can plus I give away a lot.

Latest posts