Tomato Tease

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I literally have 100's and 100's of green tomatoes everywhere. I walked through today thinking maybe there is a ripe 1 or 2 I am missing because they've all had fruit on them for soooooooooooooo long now. NOPE! Not even 1!

Now I understand I have 12 Roma tomatoes and they'll all ripen about the same time and not set anymore fruit, but the rest are not the same (determent, not determent). My lemon boy were the first to set fruit, and they are HUGE and nothing is even looking close to ripening. I'm getting fidgety. I did notice the size of the fruits are amazing this year, and even with all the rain no cracking. So I am more excited then words can say. As there are 40 tomato plants, I know eventually I'll get to pick something... but I was hoping for a couple for a sandwich by now. UGH!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't feel too bad now. Mine aren't ripening either! Oh, I've had three romas ripen, but I want a good ole slicing tomato. And what good are three dinky little romas, I ask you?? I don't have nearly as many planted as you, vfem, but still......I did notice one rutgers kinda starting to change color. We'll see.
The thing is, the one plant I put out way early, has slowed down to be about equal with the others. :(

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have my first red tomato, today!! It's from a volunteer that started up in March, and I transplanted it. Get beet red with envy! (It's only a cherry, so don't feel too badly.) =b

June222012GardeningChickenPictures2012.jpg

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My tomatoes are sooooo slow this year ! I usually have ripe tomatoes in May, but the wind has been kinda of hard on them this year. :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ducks, I am jealous! I have a volunteer cherry tomato too and its just dangling green tomatoes in my face and laughing. Hahahaha

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just started getting little tiny green tomatoes on my buds. I started them from seed 03.23 and transplanted them outside 05.12. This includes my "early" varieties like 4th of July and Northern Exposure.

... sigh. It's so hard to wait up here for the garden.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are all in different parts of the country, but I use the 4th of July as when I can historically normally expect ripe tomaotoes. Some years I make it and some years I don't. There is definitely a tease going on in the garden this year, but I really think I'll beat the 4th of July this year with ease. That's almost two weeks away.

I also grow the 4th of July variety for early tomatoes, but I think some of my beefsteak will also make it this year.

With our wierd warm spring I took a chance and planted some tomato plants about three weeks earlier than I normally would. These will still barely (I hope) beat my average date but by only a few days. I'm not convinced that planting early helped the date I'll get ripe tomatoes that much, but I think it did increase my early yield. I think I'll get a bunch of them soon.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's what you do. Go out to the tomatoes and DON"T look for any reds. They like to surprise you! HAHA.
vfem said:
I literally have 100's and 100's of green tomatoes everywhere. I walked through today thinking maybe there is a ripe 1 or 2 I am missing because they've all had fruit on them for soooooooooooooo long now. NOPE! Not even 1!

Now I understand I have 12 Roma tomatoes and they'll all ripen about the same time and not set anymore fruit, but the rest are not the same (determent, not determent). My lemon boy were the first to set fruit, and they are HUGE and nothing is even looking close to ripening. I'm getting fidgety. I did notice the size of the fruits are amazing this year, and even with all the rain no cracking. So I am more excited then words can say. As there are 40 tomato plants, I know eventually I'll get to pick something... but I was hoping for a couple for a sandwich by now. UGH!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem, go pull 3-4 big green tomatoes and fry up a mess of fried green tomatoes! Tell the rest of the tomatoes in a growly threatening tone that they will be fried green tomatoes too if they don't hurry up and turn color! :lol: DH and I ate so many fried green tomatoes, we like to never got any ripe ones. But now we have plenty of both. I might have ripe tomatoes sooner than you, but mine will burn to a crisp in the heat before too long and you will still be picking!

patty12

Sprout
Reaction score
I live in north west arkansas, my sister and brother have ripe tomatoes. Early girls. My tomatoes are still green but they had their's out earlier than I did. We agrued , I said they were putting their's out to early and would get frost bit but we didn't have a later frost so they have tomatoes ripe and I don't but they are giving me some ripe tomatoes and boy do they taste great.
I usually think I will have ripe tomatoes by the 4th of July here.

Latest posts